Help with H&R Race springs and mismatch

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
I have H&R Race springs. I bought my Cobra and it came with Tokico HDs (blue, non adjustable) on fronts and the rears are stock Bilsteins. My handling is not that good, have some body roll and I have a lot of wheel hop. The car feels a bit sloppy at high speeds and scary, like it is going to glide from lane to lane when Im hauling ass. I dont have the money to get the Bilstein Sports or HD's, which I know are the correct shocks for the H&R springs. I like the look and stance of the H&R's. I was thinking of changing the springs to Eibach Pro-Kit for a lighter spring rate and maybe help my handling and ride get better.

What do you guys think or recommend for a temporary cure or minor improvement?

Last edited:

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
The quick solution is stock Bilstein HDs. The better (and more expensive) solution is MM sport struts.

If I can find a set of used stock Bilsteins off of a low mile Cobra will that work?

I did a lot research and some guys say Bilstein HD's work good and some guys say you HAVE to use the Bilstein Sports because of the spring rate of the H&R Race. As of right now I dont have the cash for either brand new, but if I can find a a set of used stock Bilsteins I might be able to swing that.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I run the HR springs on the stock bilsteins and don't have any issues

yes, I think your best bet is to find a used set of stock bilsteins and throw those on. Based on your ride, it sounds like the mis-matched shocks are the cause of your problem.

However, the wheel hop is an entirely separate issue.

best of luck!

SpectorV

Established Member
you need to find out the valving of the front struts, it might be fine. I contacted Maximum Motorsports about their H&R race on verts (which have softer front struts) and they said it would be fine vs the coupe ones~

cobracide

Established Member
If I can find a set of used stock Bilsteins off of a low mile Cobra will that work?

I did a lot research and some guys say Bilstein HD's work good and some guys say you HAVE to use the Bilstein Sports because of the spring rate of the H&R Race.

No, there are a lot of people running stock HD's with HR Race springs. 2003 Mustang Cobra Coupe (2R3Z-18124-AA) and Convertible (2R3Z-18124-BA) struts.

As of right now I dont have the cash for either brand new, but if I can find a a set of used stock Bilsteins I might be able to swing that.

Going on the cheap, get some used Bilstein HD's FROM FORD (All Ford shocks are custom valved from the factory) or another 2003-4 Cobra (better option) or re-valve the Tokico HDs (not recommended). Don't be fooled by the Cobra R spec struts as they are valved poorly and are weaker as compared to the MM sports.

2003 Cobra coupe Bilstein struts valved for 600 lb/in.

Last edited:

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
Im going to keep my eyes out for some used stock Bilsteins to get my car dialed in. Im also going to get MM FLSFC's. All the information has really helped me out. I was about to change my springs :uh oh: .

Tornbtwentwo

Established Member
I think you should take those garbage springs off ship them away.

To my front door :-D. the mmflsfc should help on the hop.

Users who are viewing this thread