help with girlfriends car.

NA97GT

Established Member
My girlfriends 1997 saturn sc1 is having a problem starting. It will only start every once in a while, it cranks fine but wont start up. Yesterday it did not start at all and today it fired right up. Im leaning twards a fuel or computer problem but I cant figure it out. Can you guys give me some ideas on what you think I should check, and how to figure this out.

homer302

Banned
You are throwing darts at a dartboard. Could be anything. You are gonna have to pull the computer codes on it as a start. There are just so many things it could be.
You can rule out a lot though because some parts are either good or bad, not work sometimes and not sometimes. Can't be plugs, wires, 02 sensors wont keep a car from starting, mass air sensor wont keep a car from starting, bad alternator by itself wont keep a car from starting though it could let the batter run down to a point where it wont start of course.

NA97GT

Established Member
it has no codes on the ecu. Its not fuel pump fuse or relay. I just started it about ten times in a row with no problem. Im usually good at diagnostics but this thing is soo abnormal.

NA97GT

Established Member
it has distributerless ignition, so Im not leaning that way yet.

331power

Established Member
Check for spark or fuel whenever it does not start. Try to replicate the fault, and check then for those two. Common on these saturns is the crank sensor behind the starter.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
OBD 2 hand scanners are fairly cheap I do believe that autozone does rent them it will show a trouble code if there is one.

ACTRON OBD SUPER AUTOSCANNER KITS : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories

He just said it does not have any codes.

I hate how people think scanners are going to immediately diagnose any problem.

OP, check for spark, then check for fuel. Spark plug testers are cheap, so go that route first.

If it has spark, check fuel pressure and delivery. Don't just depress the Schrader valve, actually test the pressure. Just because it has fuel does not mean the fuel is pressurized enough to make it to the combustion chamber.

NA97GT

Established Member
thanks man, yes the code scanners can only help sometimes. This is a gremlin, cause now it works fine yet If I let her drive it to work Im positive that she will get stranded. What type of tool will test for spark, ive never done that.

homer302

Banned
He just said it does not have any codes.

OP, check for spark, then check for fuel. Spark plug testers are cheap, so go that route first.

If it has spark, check fuel pressure and delivery. Don't just depress the Schrader valve, actually test the pressure. Just because it has fuel does not mean the fuel is pressurized enough to make it to the combustion chamber.

I cant imagine why you would hate the fact that people think scanners are going to diagnose a problem. You must not work on cars much. Scanners DO diagnose nearly all problems with a no start condition that continues to happen frequently. I hate when people want to go on a spending spree and buy crazy amounts of parts because they think they know what it is by the sound of it turning over. I cant imagine why anyone would buy a spark plug tester. Pull the plug, leave the wire on it and try to start the car (without holding the plug) you will see spark jumping if it is firing.

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I cant imagine why you would hate the fact that people think scanners are going to diagnose a problem. You must not work on cars much. Scanners DO diagnose nearly all problems with a no start condition that continues to happen frequently. I hate when people want to go on a spending spree and buy crazy amounts of parts because they think they know what it is by the sound of it turning over. I cant imagine why anyone would buy a spark plug tester. Pull the plug, leave the wire on it and try to start the car (without holding the plug) you will see spark jumping if it is firing.

Did you not read what I said?

ford_racer said:

Any could mean transmission related, chassis related, alignment related, etc. I work in a parts store and get people asking for code scanners because their car shutters when they brake, or it pulls to one side.

As for what you said, code scanners will not immediately diagnose why your car does not start. It reads codes off of sensors.

Does a Saturn SC1 have a sensor that reads when a fuel pump is not operating sufficiently? No. Therefore, if the OP's gf's fuel pump is going out, a code scanner will not do anything for him.

I cannot remember off hand the coil setup on the car, but if it has one coil for all the plugs (which it most likely does), a code scanner will not pick up the fact that the coil has gone dead. If it has multiple coils, like GM 3.8s do, a code scanner will read that there is a misfire in one or two cylinders, but it will not directly point to the coil.

The bottom line is that while code scanners do make it easier, they only narrow the problem down but do not always directly point out the problem. There is still a bit of diagnosing to do on many problems.

OP, go to a parts store and ask for a spark plug tester. If I was at work, I'd give you an O'Reillys part number and price, but I don't work until tomorrow.

Another way to test is to pull out the spark plug, reconnect the plug wire, and ground the plug via the ground electrode and have someone crank. If it does not spark, then there's no spark in that cylinder. This isn't fool proof however, as it may be difficult to get a ground.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread