Help With Fuel Tank and Fuel Pump Setup

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
So, today I dropped my fuel tank to see what type of fuel pump my car has in it. I find it doesn't have a cobra fuel tank. I attached a photo of the tank. Can someone tell me what year of Mustang this came out of? Also, what type of fuel pump setup do you all recommend? I plan on going with a Whipple 2.3 or 2.9, I'm undecided, but the car had two Walbro in tank pumps rigged up very poorly with the wires jammed under that hat. I am thinking I want to run an external pump, but I'm not sure. I already have a return style fuel system with the larger lines and fuel rails. What all am I going to need with the current fuel tank I have?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    594.7 KB · Views: 99

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would NOT do a external fuel pump. Not many people go that route with these cars. Very good kits out there, like a fore innovation fuel hat. Do you plan on running e85? I didn't think I would and ended up having to drop the tank a second time to install e85 compatible pumps. My suggestion is, do it right the first time. If you don't already have a cobra tank, I'd look around for one.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
is there a part number on it somewhere? I dont know how to ID the cobra tank from the outside, only looking at the baffle inside.

It seems that in-tank pumps are much more street friendly as being submersed in fuel helps cool them and there are pump/hat setups for in-tank that can handle a hell of a lot of power.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Looks like the 96-98 set up. If you want an 03/04 tank may be check out Glenns Performance.

FWIW, I installed Glenn's kit on a buddies 97 GT. Had twin 255's. Was supposed to be good for 1000hp. He never tested it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking of getting an 03-04 Cobra tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
There is no threat to running an external pump and it will save a shit ton of coin to have that sumped and run an external. However the 03/04 tanks have baffling if you do more than drag race.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, I went ahead and bought a cobra fuel tank used. I will just run an internal pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread