Help with front front struts!

Supperior1

Established Member
Guys,
I recently il had some H&R Sport springs installed. Notice I had the stock Billstein shocks in the back, but also noticed had some aftermarket Mickey mouse struts in the front. Needless to say a week in the struts blew out. They no travel and was bottoming them b out of very mild bumps..now the front end bounces around when you rock it. My question is what struts can I get that have lots of travel and won't bottom out with my lowered application?
Fairly new Terminator owner.
THANKS..
Marco.

Supperior1

Established Member
Thanks brother. ...any particular Koni ? And I couldn't see from your sig but, what springs do you have? I want to make sure the Koni's have plenty of travel for my lowered application. ...more than a regular strut. Cuz man, some of the bumps I hit at 50 mph were brutal, I thought I broke something. I want to square this away asap...

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
I have the strt orange konis that aren't adjustable. Pretty sure my Springs r stock, but when I got the car the original owner had cc plates on it, so it may be lowered an inch. The shocks r probably fine for ur application, but if ur lowered u will need the cc plates to get a proper alignment.

Last edited:

Supperior1

Established Member
Yes sir. I have the Steeda C/C plates installed by Steeda ( I live here in South Florida by them) and had them do the 4 wheel alignment. The car track beautifully. ...it's just with the H&R SS springs the car is pretty dammed low, especially since the front was missing lower iso....The Mickey mouse struts had no travel and blew out quick. I did here the Koni's were good however at the time of this post, I have already found out that the Tokico Blue strut has the most travel and is perfect for lowered applications.....so thanks again and I w I lll post an update after the install....

bubblehead93

Established Member
i don't know what brand your mickey mouse set of front struts are, but springs and truts have to be matched, otherwise you end up either over or under damped... sounds like in your case your under damped, so you feel the full "harshness" of the spring with little damping in rebound or comopression, hence they feel like they are "blown out" or "bottoming out" after swapping just the springs. With your springs the Bilstein HDs, Tokico D-Spec, and Koni Sport struts will all work. Just google matching spring rates with shocks and you should get some hits if you would like to do your own research...

bubblehead93

Established Member
The type you chose depends on your application and usage. Drag? Road Race? Street? Adjustable?

Absolutely, original post discussed only new front struts with Bilstein shocks in the rear with h&r sport springs all the way around... seems he is looking for something for the street....

Andy

Last edited:

Supperior1

Established Member
Yes defintely street. And the cheap front struts were fine for about a week. stiff and dampening...but after hitting a few big dips, and bumps, they blew out. NOW they bounce around and float, and are constantly bottoming out. A simple "rock the car" test before and after spoke volumes. After MUCH research and talking to a local guy who has them on the front of his lowered Mustang, the Tokico Blue DOES has the most travel, and even made is car sit a smidgen higher in the front(witch I would welcome) Like an 1/8.....says they are stiff and dampening, almost never bottom out, and compliment the handling...I ordered them on Ebay, they will be here on Tuesday. Im going to the track on Wednesday. A friend of mine said I should not install them till after the track, because of the way the car lifts in the front with the bad sruts, and shifts the weight back, that it will be better for launching at the track. LOL. I dont know if thats true but, would love to hear from you guys on that to..

Supperior1

Established Member
Ok well, an update as promised. Got the Tokico Blues and installed them today.....all iI can say is WOW! They are freakin awesome. The car sits perfectly in the front. The struts are stiff but comfortable. They do NOT bottom out easily. Great dampening, and excellent handling. Really compliments the springs. Verdict: If your thinking about getting the Tokicos for your Terminator, stop and order them, you will NOT be dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread