Help with front brake rotor change.

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
Is there a website that I can use as reference to guide me and what tools will I need? Should i change the wheel bearings too? All of your help will be greatly be appreciated. :rockon:

Thanks,

Randy. :)

Rufus

Established Member
New Front Rotors

Randy - I wouldn't put new rotors on without all new wheel bearings.

New bearings aren't that expensive, you'd be faced with the extra work of switching the old bearing races from the old rotors, and the Fox body front bearings need diligent maintainance.

My experience is to beware of aftermarket front bearing parts......I've run into some that don't fit at all like the Ford parts.

Best Regards,
Bob S.

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
Thanks for all of the help. I will search for new genuine Ford bearings. I appreciate all of the help.

Randy. :rockon:

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
Does anyone happen to know the part #s or measurements for Ford and/or Timken wheel bearings? Thanks for your time.

Randy.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Timkin
Inner: SET5 11.99

Outer: SET12F. 11.99

Wheel Seal (Do it) 9150S 6.39

Those are from Autozones site but I'm sure they use Timkins part numbers.

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
I will go to Autozone and check the parts out. Do you think I can handle this procedure? I am an average back yark mechanic. Do I need any special tools. Thanks for your help.

Randy.

Last edited by a moderator:

trents99

99cbra was my hero
Established Member
Well for a back yard mechanic it's not hard, since you're a back "yark" mechanic you may have some trouble......j/k had to mess with you.

Remove the two bolts holding the caliper to the spindle and then tie it up out of the way with a zip tie or piece of coat hanger, don't let the caliper hang there by the hose. If the caliper has never been removed be prepared to put some a$$ behind it to get them out, Ford uses some tough thread lock on those things. If you don't have a compressor use a cheater bar on your ratchet to break them loose.

Remove dust cap from center of rotor to expose retaining nut which I believe is 1 1/16'' (that's one and one-sixteenth) so make sure you have a socket that large. Remove cotter pin and then remove retaining nut. Pull rotor off with bearings.

Install is the reverse of removal.

Words of advice:

Get a manual for at least torque specs for your car when working on it.
Put blue thread locker on the caliper bolts when you put them back on.
If you have never repacked bearings find someone to show you how the first time or see if there is a video clip online somewhere. If you go to a good parts store (that has old timers there) they will probably be able to show you. NAPA stores are good places for advice.
May as well put on new pads while you have it torn down.

Good luck.

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
Thanks for the help and advice. I will try to work on it soon before the Burlington Mustang show so I can enter my 93 Cobra. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread