Help with engine light prob

supragod98

Established Member
Ok so my check engine light goes on and my car starts running all rough. From idle to about 2,000 RPM the car shakes and sounds like a WRX. I just took it into a shop and here is the code they pulled P0300. Which means multiple missfire. Now the guy at the shop says I have to change my distributor, wires, plugs, fuel filter and do some other stuff to get it running right. He wants to charge me about $800 for the repairs. Now when I asked exactly what was wrong with my car he couldnt give me a straight answer. All he kept telling me is when he gets cars with this code he replaces all the above parts. So now I'm contemplating if I should let he repair it or if I should try figure out what exactly is wrong with it and fix it myself. I feel like this guy is trying to rip me off but dont know for sure. Anyone got any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem before?

herbie911

SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND HOLD
Established Member
the tech at the shop sounds like hes guessing whats wrong with it , sounds like to me that the crank tigger gone out. i could be wrong , is it your L or some other car????

supragod98

Established Member
94 T-bird. Its got about 95,000 miles or so on it. I'm going to try and change plugs and wires this weekend and see if that helps.

Big Bird 5.4

dirt poor hot rodder
Established Member
supragod98 said:
94 T-bird. Its got about 95,000 miles or so on it. I'm going to try and change plugs and wires this weekend and see if that helps.

The tech is definitely trying to rip you, big time!. :rollseyes .. First plugs and wires... they allways fail ..... Then if you have any additional issues, try pulling 1 wire at a time to see if theres no change..... no change, thats your plug wire circuit.... possibly , but not probably a coil pack then. Use genuine ford parts only on ignition and electrical......
Good luck and let us know wass' up

supragod98

Established Member
Changed plugs and wires. Still have the same problem. I did unplug wires with the engine running and found one coil with no spark. I'm going to change the coil and hope it fixes everything.

Big Bird 5.4

dirt poor hot rodder
Established Member
supragod98 said:
Changed plugs and wires. Still have the same problem. I did unplug wires with the engine running and found one coil with no spark. I'm going to change the coil and hope it fixes everything.

Good! , Keep us posted, amd let us know how much money you saved............ :-D

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
supragod98 said:
Now the guy at the shop says I have to change my distributor, wires, plugs, fuel filter and do some other stuff to get it running right.

umm ask the dumbass, i mean mechanic, to show you the distributor, considering its a distributorLESS ignition system.

supragod98

Established Member
Changed my coil pack today. an now shes purring like a kitten again. Lets see total cost of repair would be about $80. I spent a total of about $280-350 if you count the cost of the scan from that shop. I didnt need to replace my plugs or my wires but it was about time anyway. Also I didnt use factory parts. I know I should have but the ford dealer in my area didnt have any in stock and they were going to charge and arm and a leg. I got some ac delco replacment parts and they seem too be working fine. We'll see how long they last.

Big Bird 5.4

dirt poor hot rodder
Established Member
That $800 shop bill sounds pretty high now :lol: , and the diagnostic scan was wasted money too.... now you know one shop to avoid like the plague.

Users who are viewing this thread