Help with ECU!!!

emas20

Established Member
So , im having trouble with my ECU. here's what happened. everything was running good until the car overheated and had to do head work to it, thus having to take the engine out. the car has the 03 cobra ECU and a diablo chip and was working fine. after doing head work and putting the engine in. i realized that two cables on both side were unplugged, they looked like ground and i made my own ground cable. turns out this was the ignition transformer ( a little box that goes behind the head that is also a ground ) well after trying to start the car it blew the PCM fuse. after diagnosing and finding the cause was those two grounds, i replaced it and the car started, but died after. after starting it again, the car would idle and every 5 seconds it would try to die, but then it just came right up.

so i took the chip out, and the car started good and is currently driving. now my question is. is my ECU bad??
i took it to my tuner, and we put 2 different diablo chips in it and it did the same thing. i asked him why and he said he's never seen that before, and neither have i. after dynoing the car, the numbers were pretty low for what i have in the car, even without a tune. so my guess is the ecu is bad but just in a certain area thus allowing the car to run but not fully.

Did you guys ever experience something like this? is there any way to determine if its a bad ECU? could it be a bad ccrm??

Thanks

emas20

Established Member

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Couldn't open the links for some reason but if ur talking about a small black box that looks like a sensor almost that bolts onto top rear head, those are for ur radio. They are interference eliminators and yes they hav power going to them. They are not grounds.

emas20

Established Member
Couldn't open the links for some reason but if ur talking about a small black box that looks like a sensor almost that bolts onto top rear head, those are for ur radio. They are interference eliminators and yes they hav power going to them. They are not grounds.

Oh ok, that's unplugged now but that is most likely what caused the short the first time. Now my question is, has anyone ever seen a car run on the ECU but not the chip?? Could it be that doin that burned certain parts of my ECU?

Users who are viewing this thread