Help with drivetrain issue?

cobralvr01

Established Member
So here's the breakdown.
I purchased a completely stock 1997 cobra with 104k miles on it in January of 2015. I'm driving it around for sometime like this with no problems other than a constant whining sound between 40-80mph. My friend at work was constantly wanting to race. So, on the way to Race Wars I indulge. Everything's going fine up until about 110 mph+. Once I get to this, I get a vibration/rattling noise in the back. When I say rattling, I really mean clunking/rattling. With this in the back of my mind, a constant whining noise from the rear, and the rear rattling/clunking when decelerating (very pronounced when decelerating in nuetral), I decided to pull the trigger and rebuild the rear end and throw in some 4.10's while I'm at it.

During disassembly I noticed that my upper passenger control arm is shot. Of course I thought, "This has to be the cause of the vibration". So, I decided I will replace all of the control arms as well as the bushings on the diff.

Specs on rear diff:
Pinion Bearing Preload w/ all new bearings ~29-30 in/lbs (I know this is pretty high, but I researched that new bearings get much higher preload and will eventually slack up on this preload the more you drive)
Backlash ~ .0012
Wear pattern ~ sat nearly in middle on accel and decel sides. The pattern sat slightly inward in reference to the rear diff of where the centerline would be.

After I finish buttoning everything up I decide to go for a drive. WOW! It drives incredible...but that was last week. This week, however, I am getting that clunking/vibration from the rear again, however, it is at 90mph +.
I am kind of confident that it may be the driveshaft is out of balance and the new gears + new control arms are making the vibrations/clunking more pronounced.
I have researched the web and they all say an aluminum driveshaft will clear up the vibration, but they didn't say anything about a clunking sound. Should I look into getting an aftermarket aluminum driveshaft simply to remedy the problem or should I be more worried about having to redo the rear? I'm not sure the rebuilt rear diff is the problem because this was a pre-existing problem, but it's more pronounced now at slower speeds. It's nearly at the point to where I feel the rear end will blow up and I'm worried about going over 80mph.

Last edited:

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Pop the diff cover back off and double check everything. Put the car up on stands and VERY CAREFULLY go through a couple gears and listen for anything out of the ordinary. Will it make the noise in reverse?

Good luck
Dave

cobralvr01

Established Member
No, only at high speeds and/or decelerating from 50+. It's worse when decelerating and it being in neutral.

cobralvr01

Established Member
I did last night. I got under there and checked out if they were bad.
I did the "Indian rope burn" test at both ends of the DS to check for any slack with the u-joints....none.
I tried rotating the DS as it sat, with the car on jacks, e-brake on and with the car in gear. The DS has about 10-15* of rotational play in it. I researched it and apparently this is ok???
When rotating it, though, I could here the faint sound of the clunking. It may just be the U-joints are just ****ed and I'm not testing it properly. But it is def. coming from the freeplay with the DS. It could also be the DS is out of balance? I think I'll check to see if replacing the u-joints will fix the issue. If not then I'll pull the trigger on the aluminum DS. I'll keep this thread updated.

Edit:
Since there is a good Labor Day Sale going on through AM, I went ahead and purchased a FR aluminum driveshaft last night for around $260 shipped w/ my svt coupon. I'll keep this up-to-date on how it feels afterward.

Last edited:

cobralvr01

Established Member
Well I just installed a Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft. Big difference!!! There is absolutely no vibration at high speeds and the rattling/clunking is still somewhat there, but much less noticeable. You'd have to be listening for it to hear it. Overall, it feels much, much more stable at highway speeds and feels a little smoother through city streets. Didn't notice any difference with acceleration or any "freed up ponies", but the driving experience is 100x's better.

Users who are viewing this thread