Help with Drive cycle for emissions monitors

awakened

Established Member
I've put 175 miles on my car since getting a dyno tune and clearing all the old codes and my emissions monitors still have not reset yet. It's the last thing I need to have happen before I get my inspection stickers. Does anyone have any tricks, tips, or advice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
they wont be ready, use a obd2 reader to see which ones are not ready? I just went thru this. because no cats and EGR delete

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I went through this with my 2000 Cobra R. It came with bad gas that tripped the check engine light. Once I got the old stuff out and good stuff in, I used a handheld to clear the codes. That sets sensors to "not ready" and you have to do specific drive cycle events to reset them. I was trying to add minimal miles to the car, so I followed these instructions and it worked:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
this is all a BIG pita in my experience. I had to switch my coyote back to stock to get it to pass. Even with Cats. granted I have a canned tune and couldn't use a stock tune with my CAI. I "solved" that problem with the Cobra. It doesn't need inspection other than safety.

awakened

Established Member
Hotcobra03 - Correct, I've scanned and don't get any codes.

Goose17 - that's the procedure that I have been following. Do you have to do the steps in order, and do you have to do them all in the same run? Also, how critical is it that you stay between 1/2 and 3/4 tank?

awakened

Established Member
Should I reset the codes each time I take it out and try or is it cumulative and I just reset the codes once and drive it whenever I can to get those steps done?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Should I reset the codes each time I take it out and try or is it cumulative and I just reset the codes once and drive it whenever I can to get those steps done?

Every time you reset is when it needs to complete a drive cycle..

choate

Established Member

Yeah don't reset the codes unless you fix something that is causing them. You can turn the car off etc and complete the drive cycle. It's not like you have to do it all at once in one drive. The 1/2 tank thing is for the EVAP. What sucks is if certain ones don't ever show ready then it cant EVER complete the drive cycle b/c like that one I'll call #6 has to complete before #7 reads ready etc. You need yourself a good local tuner or even a remote tuner that is good and knows their stuff. That will be your easiest bet man. Believe me it'll be the best $500 or whatever they charge to tune your car for you that you've ever spent. All your inspection problems will likely go away too after some logging

choate

Established Member
Just saw you said you had a dyno tune. Take it back and explain what's going on

awakened

Established Member
193 miles of combined driving and finally at least the evap monitor is set. Now for the others.....
b5f267c0b1bd9e6e28fdc022af737281.jpg

testorossa1989

Established Member
I was able to set a few instantly by beating on it. Yes I know it's not conventional but I dumped it and a few stubborn ones finally tripped. Did a 3k launch and didn't let off. This was a case where there wasn't a p1000.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread