Help with draging brakes needed!

Darknight

Established Member
I noticed when I had the rearend jacked up and the trans in N that my drivers rear brake seems to drag. I'm not too familiar with brakes in general and want to find out what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
It's most likely the caliper. The piston may become kinda stuck due to moisture build up in the fluid which causes the piston to corrode internally. It could also be the parking brake system so check it as well.

Darknight

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
It's most likely the caliper. The piston may become kinda stuck due to moisture build up in the fluid which causes the piston to corrode internally. It could also be the parking brake system so check it as well.

So what would I do to check the caliper to see if it is messed up or whether it is the parking brake system? Any link you may have to show to check these out or advice?

Lightningfr

Banned
you have to pull the caliper off and look inside of it
i had to do it in my mustang a couple times not that hard as long as you got the tools to crack it lose

Darknight

Established Member
Well after checking it out more I have completely ruled out the brakes. I don't know what was wrong with me yesterday but the noise is actually coming from the driveshaft. It is the same noise I heard yesterday just narrowed it down to the wrong place. It actually sounds like the driveshaft is sqweeling/grinding metal on metal where it meets the transmission. It doesn't sound good and where the driveshaft meets the rearend it doesn't appear to be doing this.

Any ideas as to the problem? And how I could fix it?

Should I start a new thread about this topic?

Users who are viewing this thread