Help with datalog reading?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Last edited:

Established Member
what is it doing? codes? what have u tried?

This is what it's doing below. I don't want to keep tossing parts at it anymore without a more definite idea of what the proper readings are to try and sort out the culprit:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/936712-asking-some-return-help.html

Car has a stumble/hesitation and it's driving me nuts.

Two weeks ago while on the frwy, car was running pretty bad with a bad stumble/hesitation.

Pulled coil cover and found the plugs and coils saturated in oil. Some coils were damaged/cracked (I posted pics too) and at about this time, I got a CE light P0304 (cylinder 4 misfire). Turns out that #4 plug was rusty and in bad shape.

Replaced the plugs
Replaced the COPs (coils)
Cleaned IAT sensor
Cleaned MAF sensor

Stumble/hesitation persisted and I began to notice a rattle sound that seems to be related to RPM, so I called a tech buddy to come over and plug in his diagnostic equipment. He found bank 2 was lean and the O2 readings were all over the place. Pulled plug #6, checked out the piston (cylinder #6), and it was wet/oily. He suggested replacing the plug grommets/seals for the valve (cam) covers, all the gaskets and suggested replacing that injector as it could be bad.

Sourced a brand new set of 24lb FRPP injectors M-9593-LU24 (yes they're discontinued, but found a whse with a set in stock).

Over the weekend, I did this:

Replaced Fuel filter
Replaced Injectors
Replaced Valve (cam) cover grommets/seals
Replaced Valve cover gaskets (yes the hydroboost was a bitch)
Checked the Cam position sensor, seems good, chains guides and everything in the head seems fine.

Car still stumbles/hesitates and occasionally I hear a low RPM rattle which *might* be coming from underneath.

Next on the usual suspects list is:

Clogged or broken up cat/s (OEM 99-01 catted H pipe)
Bad O2 sensor/s (OEM O2 sensors that came with the brand new H pipe & crate motor) Motor now has 96,000 miles.

What's your take on this or what would you do?

Established Member
Does this look right? :shrug:

datalogvscreen.jpg

Established Member
Alright, learning as I go along.. Hopefully this will help others when they experience a similar problem to mine.

From this log below, the O2 on bank 2 is "lazy" and not switching often as it should (pink), and bank 1 is switching fast and frequent as it should (yellow).

logvt.jpg

Now, in order to eliminate my cats from being the culprit and to verify that they are actually working, then the downstream O2 sensors should switch rather slowly as you can see in the graph below (If the rear O2s switched as quick as the upstream O2's, then the catalytic converters are not fully functional).
Same place on the log as the one directly above.
logvdownstreamo2s.jpg

Established Member
Replaced the lazy O2 sensor. Here is the new datalog. The switch pattern for both sensors is almost identical now as it should be :rockon:

logviupstreamnewsensors.jpg

Established Member
If you don't mind me asking. What data logging software you using? I'm looking to buy some.

I'm datalogging with a diablo predator tuner. Even though I don't have a tune on it, I use it to adjust some parameters such as gear ratio and traction control off.

Obtain the datalog, then upload it to your PC and view the PIDs logged with Dataviewer:
Support Search Result

Instructions:
General Data Logging for Diablo Predators (on device) - Trick Tuners Forums

Datalog after the replacement O2 sensor:
datalogaftero2s.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread