help with court case...

StStang0702

SVT Poster
Established Member
hey guys, i was going to a car show this weekend, ironically held by their local police department in massachusetts to raise money for the Jimmy Fund, while on my way up i got pulled over for 76/65...

well to make a long story short, on my way home i plugged in my GPS to find that my speedometer is off 10mph (slower) which would explain as to why i was going so fast, when i thought i was only going 65mph i was really doing 75.... im bringing the car to ford to be looked at this week, how do i bring this to court?! is it worth it...

it was 730 on a sunday morning, i didnt think i was going that fast, but i dont argue with POs as im trying to become one my self in NYPD, i just accepted the ticket and fight it in the courts as designed...can anyone advise me how to go about this in court?

ExiledXIII

Established Member
When you go to get your speedometer checked make sure you get a receipt and any written documentation explaining that your speedometer was off (if it was). When you go to court, just tell the judge that you went and got your speedometer checked, found out that it was wrong and show the judge the documentation. From what I have seen, the ticket will be reduced to a faulty equipment, or possibly dismissed outright with just court costs. Good Luck.

StStang0702

SVT Poster
Established Member
let me just add that my vehicle is a 2007 mustang with 10k on the odometer...it is just bullsh*t that my speedo is off ya know, i shouldnt be punished for that...

ExiledXIII

Established Member
Like I said, if the speedo is off and gets calibrated correctly, you should walk out of there with a faulty equipment and/or no charges at all just court costs. If the 'Stang is modded, such as with wheels/tires etc, that can throw off the speedo as well...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
let me just add that my vehicle is a 2007 mustang with 10k on the odometer...it is just bullsh*t that my speedo is off ya know, i shouldnt be punished for that...
different tires than what came on it?

make sure you go someplace that DOES provide you with documentation of how much it is off and verify that they do before they perform any work. Not all places will do that because it leaves them open ot a court suphonea

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

You arent being punished for your "faulty" speedometer. You received a ticket for exceeding the speed limit. Since it is a civil violation, there is no "intent" aspect to the violation, therefore as long as you were exceeding the posting limit you are wrong.

Your issue is with Ford. However, the court will likely be lenient if you present proof that your speedometer was the problem.

So when you were traveling at 76 and passing all the other cars doing 65, you just thought they were going 55?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So when you were traveling at 76 and passing all the other cars doing 65, you just thought they were going 55?

nah my money is on he thought they were slowing down to look at his car

ExiledXIII

Established Member
Poking around online today brought me across this. Thought anyone in here might find this interesting.

Speedometer Calibration Calculator And Information

Just playing with it, the only way I can get a 10mph increase going from the small stock tire size of 235/55R-17 is by jumping sizes to a 315/55R-18. That seems like a pretty big increase, but I guess feasible? I don't know, good luck.

BruinBaby

Established Member
When you go to get your speedometer checked make sure you get a receipt and any written documentation explaining that your speedometer was off (if it was). When you go to court, just tell the judge that you went and got your speedometer checked, found out that it was wrong and show the judge the documentation. From what I have seen, the ticket will be reduced to a faulty equipment, or possibly dismissed outright with just court costs. Good Luck.

Perfect advice. Keep all documentation. Also, any reciepts from the event u were going to, to show what a good "citizen" u are.

Users who are viewing this thread