Help With Clutch Problems

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
As some of you know my stock clutch started slipping awhile ago. So ireplaced it with a SPEC Stage 1 and had it installed by a shop. Well ever since i left the shop it has been slightly smelling of clutch which i was told was the clutch breaking in. So i kept driving it liek a grandma making sure nothing went wrong with the clutch. So now the pedal started getting sloppy so i took it back to them. They drove it said the clutch is fried and refused to work on it because i supplied my own parts...What could I have done wrong to mess up this clutch?!!?

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
You shoulda just installed it yourself. It is a big job, but not that hard with the info you can get on the Corral and here. As far as your problem goes, you should have only smelled the clutch the first little while, maybe 100 miles tops, of regular street driving. You will still smell it after a burnout, but that should be about the only time really. If you smell it really strong after just regular driving, something is wrong, somehow it is slipping. I would blame that on the installer. I'm not sure what could have gone wrong, it was all really straight-forward when I put mine in.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
define "sloppy"....is it slipping? or does just the pedal feel really awkward...maybe like it engages at different points or something? Check the quadrant (above the gas pedal) and see if its worn...you may just need a new quadrant or something simple.

Did the shop give an specifics other than "its trashed"?

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
no because they wouldnt even look at it... yes the flywheel was resurfaced and by sloppy i mean it use to be firm but now the first few inches of travel is loose and does nothing

Untamed

Established Member
yeah i have the spec stage1 and its been slippen from day one (over 8months) soon I will change it and I did everything right
I feels lose to and burns alot,I even got the steeda adj/quadrent/cable:shrug: :nonono:

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
Originally posted by 97 svt cbra
no because they wouldnt even look at it... yes the flywheel was resurfaced and by sloppy i mean it use to be firm but now the first few inches of travel is loose and does nothing

sounds to me like it just needs to be adjusted, some clutches will work this way, you can buy an adjustable clutch quadrant and you can adjust where you want the thing to engage, if the clutch is still working i dont think the clutch is fried, you can also adjust the clutch by pulling up on the pedal all the way up and then push it in a few times, that also might cure the sloppyness

Users who are viewing this thread