Help with buying a car out of state (military)

asd_srt

Established Member
Once I get back to the states I plan on buying a lightning. I'm using USAA to finance for the truck. My question is being stationed in Louisiana but my home of record, drivers license, and other car are all for Sc. How would I go about getting the truck registered and taxes paid for? And if you have used USAA to finance before do I just send them the title once i get it since there isn't usaa banks everywhere. I've financed cars before just never with usaa or out of state. Any imput would be helpful just trying to get an idea of what needs to be done before I get home.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
USAA should be able to handle all of that since they'll be holding the paperwork on it, you'll never see the title. I also believe that you will have to register the car in the states of "residence" which would be LA. In any case the folks holding the paper will be able to help you out with this, since some states are different. In FL , for example I purchased a car from Wisconsin, had it shipped down here and had to pay a 400 "tax" to have it re-registered in FL, so make sure you are going to be (wherever it is) for awhile before you get the title swapped. Good luck on the purchase and come home safe.

asd_srt

Established Member
I've been at Louisiana since early 2012. I just get back from being gone for 9 months this summer. I'll see what usaa says about it hopefully they handle it all would be sweet on my end.

01GTB

Established Member
I bought my car in Texas (I'm from Florida) and financed through USAA. I filled out the the application and they sent me electronic documents to take with me to the dealership. I contacted the dealership and told them I would like to purchase the car and would be financing with USAA. I emailed them a copy of the electronic approval, which I don't think they did anything with.

I showed up and they still thought they could do the financing. I gave them a chance but when they came back with an offer exactly the same as I had, I told them I was done and we would be using USAA or I would drive on down to my backup dealership. In the end, it was no problem. I am sure most large dealers have had plenty of experience with USAA by now. It was more of a problem getting someone who knew what they were doing to verify insurance. Still, in and out in two hours. Title is filed electronically. It really isn't any more difficult to buy than from the dealer at home.

Your taxes, title and registrations fee will be collected based on your residency. They told me they would get the tag and registration from Florida then mail it to me. In the end, they sent me a letter saying the tag was ready to pick up at my local tag office. I would say that will be your only hiccup.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I did several out of state purchases. I even did one out of country(I was in Japan, and bought a cobra in TX).

If from a Dealer, they should be able to do most of the legwork for you. Essentially just talk to the bank and figure out what makes them comfortable for their paperwork...then call your dmv back in your state and find out what they need, if you can fax all the paperwork of if anything should be done via mail.

asd_srt

Established Member
I did several out of state purchases. I even did one out of country(I was in Japan, and bought a cobra in TX).

If from a Dealer, they should be able to do most of the legwork for you. Essentially just talk to the bank and figure out what makes them comfortable for their paperwork...then call your dmv back in your state and find out what they need, if you can fax all the paperwork of if anything should be done via mail.

Ok sweet thanks. I'm buying the truck from a private party but usaa is the one who it is financed through right now so usaa already has the title. Hopefully that makes things a little easier. I figure worse case when I get back to the state buy the truck ill go to SC on leave and I can do all the registration in person if i have to the truck will just have to wait to be driven.

Users who are viewing this thread