Help with Best Man speech

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
I'm not looking forward to this at all! Supposedly, the wedding is around 300 people and I don't do well when all the attention is on me. The father of the bride is shelling out a lot of money and is trying to impress his company so I think anything funny is out of the question. I have a little over a month and the speech needs to be OK'ed by the mother of the bride. My ONLY plan so far was to stay sober and take a shot right before the speech just to loosen up a little..

:shrug:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
if you really are the "best man" then why isn't she marrying you? :poke:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'm not looking forward to this at all! Supposedly, the wedding is around 300 people and I don't do well when all the attention is on me. The father of the bride is shelling out a lot of money and is trying to impress his company so I think anything funny is out of the question. I have a little over a month and the speech needs to be OK'ed by the mother of the bride. My ONLY plan so far was to stay sober and take a shot right before the speech just to loosen up a little..

I guess since you don't like to be the center of attention, I'd keep it short and sweet. Get to the point, speak from the heart and that should be all that matters. Good luck!

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Too bad funny is out of the question - you could have done a top 10 list of why he should have married you. Thats what my best man did and it was hilarious. As stated above, just speak from the heart, maybe share a few stories that show positive aspects of his character. Above all try to have fun, it is a celebration.

Best of luck
Mike

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Im the same way with being on the spot..you'll ease up after a few drinks. I was 18 when i was my brothers best man and liquid courage definitely helps.

mustanginky

Established Member
doesn't want something funny told? brides mother has to approve? what kind of slave driver is this guys future wife? make a joke about all that lol. no seriously, say something showing how good a friend the guy is to you, tell a story about a time he proved his friendship or a funny story you and the other guys in the wedding have in common. finish up with how lucky he is to be marrying the bride and it's wonderful how all the groomsmen have accepted her as their friend as well and a bunch of other sentimental bs and you'll be good to go.

never been a best man before, but been a groom about 5 times. good luck, loosen up, and have fun. i feel bad for my best man, he's gotta do it in front of about 300 people as well.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member

I've been the best man for two weddings (both are divorced now :nonono:) and I know exactly how you're feeling.
I kept both of my speeches short and sweet (5 minutes).
Don't let the Mother of the bride mess with your speech too much, as it will no longer be YOUR speech.

As for the liquid courage, I would definitely recommend "1" shot 15 to 20 minutes before the speech.
I purchased a few sample size 1oz bottles at the liquor store which I kept in the Tuxedo pocket.
Do not get drunk before the speech! :xpl:

You will feel amazingly relieved once the speech is done.
Good luck Man! :beer:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
my brother was the best man in my wedding and I told him he didnt have to make a speech becuase I sure as heck wasnt making one at his wedding. it was a fair trade.

I think just telling a childhood story about the two of you would be nice. keep it short and simple

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Short and simple. little bit of a boost 10 or so before. Keep it clean, stories you can share that include bride and groom will take up some time. (again, clean here!)

Tell mom before you let her read it that she has no ability to modify it. Then hand it to her.

You're good to go. :beer:

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
I've been the best man for two weddings (both are divorced now :nonono:) and I know exactly how you're feeling.
I kept both of my speeches short and sweet (5 minutes).
Don't let the Mother of the bride mess with your speech too much, as it will no longer be YOUR speech.

As for the liquid courage, I would definitely recommend "1" shot 15 to 20 minutes before the speech.
I purchased a few sample size 1oz bottles at the liquor store which I kept in the Tuxedo pocket.
Do not get drunk before the speech! :xpl:

You will feel amazingly relieved once the speech is done.
Good luck Man! :beer:

Thank you SIR! :beer: Definately taking your post into consideration

We'll see what happens..

BlownAway05

Established Member
Definitely write a fake speech to show the mother-in-law, and make sure you include the fact that you did that in your real speech!!!

I don't know anyone in the world who doesn't like a little bit of humor

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
I freestyled mine off the top of the dome with no prior thought and it turned out fine.

This.

If you know the guy well enough to be his best man, you should be able to come up with something off the cuff pretty easily.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

If it has to be okayed by the bride's mother, then have her write it.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Definitely write a fake speech to show the mother-in-law, and make sure you include the fact that you did that in your real speech!!!

I don't know anyone in the world who doesn't like a little bit of humor

can't believe your speech has to be 'ok'd' by the mom. the speech should be somewhat humorous. you can't have a best man speech be completely without humor---or no one will remember it. give her the fake speech, and then go for it. nothing too embarasing (don't mention old girl friends, illegal activity, or anything sexual between the bride/groom).

Users who are viewing this thread