Help with a Tuner...ProCal to Brenspeed

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
Guys,

I have been running the FRPP Procal for a few months right now and the car is a torque BEAST with my 3.73 gears. But I am looking for some top-end as well. I have a guy who wants to sell me his Brenspeed SCT tuner (unlocked) for a good deal. What do you guys think? I know everyone loves AED, and I originally wanted to go with Bama. Haven't heard much about Brenspeed. We only have 91 octane here and I want the best option available, without breaking the bank. Thanks!!

burke985

Established Member
Go with Aed and as long as the tuner is unlocked you can load any custom tune from any body on it your not limited to brenspeed. Mine is a bama sct SF3 device and ive loaded steeda and AED tunes off of it . And if you think the procal is a torque monster wait till you get a real tune from shaun.

Last edited:

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
Go with Aed and as long as the tuner is unlocked you can load any custom tune from any body on it your not limited to brenspeed. Mine is a bama sct SF3 device and ive loaded steeda and AED tunes off of it . And if you think the procal is a torque monster wait till you get a real tune from shaun.

Well, I pulled the trigger. How much does an AED tune alone cost?

cuslo1

Established Member
250 and worth every penny, Shaun has a touch that just isn't normal haha :lol1:
Jay I come to the chi alot , thats where I am from. Would love to take a ride in your tuned car to see how it runs. Thinking about a tune from AED but how much will I gain over the procal

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
$250 to add a tune to the device I already have? That seems a bit steep.

Any tune you get will cost you over 200bucks your buying a used sct the tune for it will not work for you car unless the pcm code is the same an have the exact same mods.

ebrow21

Established Member
Any tune you get will cost you over 200bucks your buying a used sct the tune for it will not work for you car unless the pcm code is the same an have the exact same mods.

Not true about the tune price. Brenspeed has $95 listed on their website. JMS still does $100 for 3 or one for $75. There are plenty of other shops with similar pricing as well.

OP: I did a back to back dyno of my procal vs jms tune. Procal was about 10hp across the board, JMS was an additional 10hp (93 octane). I'm sure Brenspeed would provide similar gains.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Not true about the tune price. Brenspeed has $95 listed on their website. JMS still does $100 for 3 or one for $75. There are plenty of other shops with similar pricing as well.

OP: I did a back to back dyno of my procal vs jms tune. Procal was about 10hp across the board, JMS was an additional 10hp (93 octane). I'm sure Brenspeed would provide similar gains.

At those price you get what you pay for so good luck. If the op is on a tight budget this might be the way to go for him

ebrow21

Established Member
At those price you get what you pay for so good luck. If the op is on a tight budget this might be the way to go for him

I figured this would be the response.

Let me ask, just to be sure. Because a shop charges less for a similar product, that directly correlates to the quality of the product? Please, tell me how that works. Also, if you could, please tell what you know about Brenspeed or JMS to make that assumption.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

Yea because cheaper is the way to go when it comes to your 30k+ car.

-Thomas

ebrow21

Established Member

-Thomas

A valid point, to be sure.

OR, maybe the markup doesn't have to be as high when you have other revenues of income. You know, when one of the owners of the shop also happens to own/be the founder of SCT. Or it could be the buisness which warrants 3 dyno's at the shop.

You're right, the company decides pricing on that xcal in 95% of tuned Coyotes. What would they know about actual tunes?

http://www.stangtv.com/news/sct-founder-chris-johnson-explains-benefits-of-using-dynojet-dyno/

Last edited:

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
Ebrow, thanks for the numbers. So you went from procal to an aftermarket, and the aftermarket tune basically doubled your peak numbers? How was the low end? Any regrets?

I'm not so much on a tight budget as I am trying to be thrifty. Thrown away a lot of money to the stangs of the years, and want the best bang for my buck.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I figured this would be the response.

Let me ask, just to be sure. Because a shop charges less for a similar product, that directly correlates to the quality of the product? Please, tell me how that works. Also, if you could, please tell what you know about Brenspeed or JMS to make that assumption.

-Thomas

thomas said it best. when you pay such a cheap price you cant always expect the best service

Users who are viewing this thread