help with a/c and smog delete

mikeredfoxbody

i moved my p/s pump to where my a/c goes and took the smog pump out completly now im not sure how to route the belt or what size to get...ive seen some pictures of how it goes but does that mean i would have to get a new waterpump that has a different flow pattern?

wheelhopper

Established Member
The routing does change but the water pump should turn in the same direction as if the smog pump and AC was there.

WillyB93

Established Member
I don't know what size belt you need but use some string and route the belt like it was on regular and then measure it. I would say it may be a 55 inch belt

93sspcoupe

Established Member
if your still using the stock belt tensioner you will need to remove it and cut the small tit off the back of it so you can position it however you need too, or do like i did and buy a summit brand belt tensioner/alt bracket, it will do away with the stock pieces and look better too. and the belt will still need to go around the waterpump the same way. i suggest cutting the belt and running it around the pulleys and where they meet at cut it again and measure it. its fairly easy to do

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
<snip> i suggest cutting the belt and running it around the pulleys and where they meet at cut it again and measure it. its fairly easy to do

This. I was just about to suggest the same thing. This is an excellent suggestion, and once you figure out the length, you can cut the old belt down to the new length to help you find the correct new belt at the parts store. They should be able to give you a belt based on ribs and length in inches, but some stores have problems with this, so taking the old cut belt with you will help.

Modifying the tensioner may or may not be necessary, but you'll know once you try and route the belt if it is.

Edit: I'm trying to remember, but didn't the factory A/C delete cars have the PS pump mounted where the compressor went? For some reason, I want to say they did...but I could easily be mistaken. It's been years since I've seen one. You could use that belt routing pattern, minus the smog pump, which probably cuts 12" out of the belt. Again, the use of the old belt as a template is the way to go...easier to position properly than a string, although the string will get you close.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Non AC cars did have the PS pump mounted where the compressor would go. If you buy the Ford Racing AC delete, it gets rid of the compressor in this fassion.

When I rerouted my belt, I did not have to change, cut, or modify my belt tensioner.

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i took my ac off and i cut the ac/power steering bracket in half and kept my power steerin pump in stock location. its not pretty but its functional lol

mckpat03

Diesel FTW
Established Member
I just did this. Moved P/S pump, bypassed smog. I also have UDP's. I've got a 73" belt. Could probably run a 72.5. Just measure it with a string or the old belt and then get like 3 close belt sizes and see what works and take two back.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
As mentioned above.... If you use the FMS A/C Delete kit that moves the powersteering pump up where the A/C compressor was, you DO NOT need to modify the stock tensioner in any way shape or form. I was running that exact setup prior to going the Vortech route. I can't remember off the top of my head, but..... I was thinking my belt length was somewhere around 72.5" or so. They way I got the right belt length was to just go grab a few belts in different lengths and keep trying them till you get it right. Most parts places are good about letting you do that if they know you.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Just get rid of everything power steering and all and pick up a crown vic water pump and a 40" belt and a summit bracket.... Lol that's what I did. Sure is a lot less under the hood when I was done

Users who are viewing this thread