HELP will a 02 lightning engine work in my 89 mustang

Farley

will my buddys 02 lightning engine work in my 89 gt mustang, and if so could my tremek 5 tranny work with that engine. If anyone knows what modifications will have to be done plez email me... thaxs lol im not worried about the hood and suspesion ,I more worried about will it fit and can i use my tremec5 tranny... "It would be NASTY" my buddy only wants a couple hundred for the whole engine, thats why I was wondering lol

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Dude that engine is so much taller. It also weighs allot more. MM&FF did that swap. You'll need the largest hood out there and that will still be too short.

stngh8r

Established Member
Sounds like a great conversion to me. Cant wait to see what the experts say as far as whether or not the trans will work.

So a big hood and some stiffer suspesion parts up front appear to be the first hangups mentioned, but something that could be done.

5.4sc engine in a fox body, hmmm. Sounds like a good combo, but possibly a very involved feat :idea:

Last edited:

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
you will have to cut a hole in the hood no matter what or get a hood that just looks stupid. You would also have to do so much changing to the front end you will end up cheaper buying a 351 short block and building it from there for a blower. The Lightning block is not the same as a 351 windsor block i don't think...

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
It would be diff thats for sure. I thought about doing it a long time ago til I saw MM&FFs car. The front will also be way heavy now too.

svtdriven

Established Member
yeah, it can be done, but for the cost, it isn't worth it. hood issue, suspension, then custom headers, notching the frame. I think you also have to get the cobra power steering/power brake combo pump setup. then there is the wiring and computer issue.

Also, the tremec from your 89 isn't a bolt-on. I think someone does make an adaptor bell housing. I also think the output shaft is different. not sure on that though.

stngh8r

Established Member
hmmm, sounds like too much time and $$$, not to mention the gremlins and bugs that come along unexpected.

Users who are viewing this thread