Help! Whistling noise at idle when car is hot + hot temps outside?

webgirlsarefun

Established Member
I know I saw this same issue addressed in a post quite a while ago, but I can't find it. I think there was even a part number for the fix. As mentioned above, when temp is hot outside and engine is up to full temp there's an annoying whistling sound at idle...goes away at higher rpms.

I'm not 100% sure it's the IAC so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

webgirlsarefun

Established Member
Seems a little less responsive...hesitant...but that could be me just assuming that there would be performance issues with a noise like that. But the noise stops the minute the rpms go up.

The sound doesn't start when it's cold out, but it's *always* there when it's very warm/hot out.

Any ideas?

RioRed4v

Established Member
mine made a whistling noise and it ended up being my a/c compressor going bad. try turning on your a/c next time when you hear the noise. my noise would go away as soon as i would turn the a/c on. turn it off, and the noise was back.

webgirlsarefun

Established Member
RioRed4v said:
mine made a whistling noise and it ended up being my a/c compressor going bad. try turning on your a/c next time when you hear the noise. my noise would go away as soon as i would turn the a/c on. turn it off, and the noise was back.

Actually, it happens when the a/c is on....though I'll have to turn the a/c off to see if it's part of the issue.

Hmmm...I wish I could find that old post about this. I think someone even gave a p/n.

Thanks though!

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
your funny, Complaining about a whinning noise...
Most 99-01 cobra owners would love a whinning noise, just from a blower.. you sure thats not your problem LOL
Hope you figure it out and if you do let us know

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
I know I saw this same issue addressed in a post quite a while ago, but I can't find it. I think there was even a part number for the fix. As mentioned above, when temp is hot outside and engine is up to full temp there's an annoying whistling sound at idle...goes away at higher rpms.

I'm not 100% sure it's the IAC so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

my car is doing this too. no performance decrease...when i am sitting still and tap the gas it stops. what could it be?

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Sounds like a slight vacuum leak to me. It could be around the valve covers, in the PCV system or just about anywhere. See if you can narrow it down to a specific area under the hood.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
Sounds like a slight vacuum leak to me. It could be around the valve covers, in the PCV system or just about anywhere. See if you can narrow it down to a specific area under the hood.

i replaced the pcv valve...still whistling. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere between the throttle body and MAF

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
cleaned the IAC, replaced the PCV valve...still whistling. I have determined that its coming from the air intake tube. I unhooked my air filter box and it sounded like a vacuum cleaner whistling inside the tube...what to do????

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
It still sounds like you have an air leak downstream of the air box somewhere. You stated you cleaned the IAC, but did you replace the grommet? Did you check for leaks at the following:

- MAF connections
- IAC grommet
- where the passenger side PCV system connects to the intake tube
- throttle body

When you have the air box off, wiggle some of the air tube connections around and see if the sound changes.

Users who are viewing this thread