**HELP** Weird noise

MachToLoud1

Established Member
3 months ago it started making this noise. The car would drive fine, I could go from pint A to B no issues. As well as get in to boost with no issues. I removed the blower belt, started the car and the noise never came on. I had the blower rebuild by Jon Bond Performace thinking it was the blower.

The car sat for almost 3 months, I finished re installing the blower today and cranked the car up. I had some white smoke coming from the intake but I've read people say this is normal after it sits for a while, or its cold, as well as after they have installed their new blower. The car idled around 1000-1200 rpm, BUT I STILL COULD HEAR THAT DAMN SAME NOISE

Any ideas if what could be causing this? Here's a link to the video I took 3 months a go, I'll try and upload a current video

3 months ago it started making this noise. The car would drive fine, I could go from pint A to B no issues. As well as get in to boost with no issues. I removed the blower belt, started the car and the noise never came on. I had the blower rebuild by Jon Bond Performace thinking it was the blower.

The car sat for almost 3 months, I finished re installing the blower today and cranked the car up. I had some white smoke coming from the intake but I've read people say this is normal after it sits for a while, or its cold, as well as after they have installed their new blower. The car idled around 1000-1200 rpm, BUT I STILL COULD HEAR THAT DAMN SAME NOISE

http://youtu.be/K3abZkvLr-o

MachToLoud1

Established Member

Any ideas if what could be causing this? Here's a link to the video I took 3 months a go, I'll try and upload a current video

http://youtu.be/K3abZkvLr-o

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
pop the blower belt back off and start it up. If the noise is gone, you know it's something driven by the belt. If not, then it's time to dig deeper.

MachToLoud1

Established Member
I removed the belt and started the car, no noise. I do have some belt squeak,squeal. Could the cause of that noise be a bad bearing on an idler pulley that vibrates causing the noise?

MG0h3

Established Member
Get yourself a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint the noise. Ive even used a chunk of garden hose before. Or a screwdriver. Youll either hear the noise through the hose or feel the harmonics through the screwdriver.

In this case, youll really want the stethoscope and just use the plastic tubing.

I actually just diagnosed a bad idler bearing on my car two days ago. Intermittent noise when cold/warming up. Even with the stethoscope, it was hard to pinpoint as the lower crank pulley bearing or the idler because they are so close. This is where you want to use the metal end because the harmonics are easy to pickup. Unfortunately there isnt much room down there. I popped the belt off, spun the idler, and confirmed a little bit of a crunchy feel when I spun it. Once I removed the idler and drove the bearing out, it was clearly worn. Literally took 10 min and $7 for diagnosis and repair.

Idler bearings are a 203FF at Oreilleys. 40mmX17mmX12mm

Im not saying that sounds like a bad idler, because to me it kind of doesnt, but it is the most likely point of failure on the blower belt system in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0002SQYSM

MachToLoud1

Established Member
Get yourself a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint the noise. Ive even used a chunk of garden hose before. Or a screwdriver. Youll either hear the noise through the hose or feel the harmonics through the screwdriver.

In this case, youll really want the stethoscope and just use the plastic tubing.

I actually just diagnosed a bad idler bearing on my car two days ago. Intermittent noise when cold/warming up. Even with the stethoscope, it was hard to pinpoint as the lower crank pulley bearing or the idler because they are so close. This is where you want to use the metal end because the harmonics are easy to pickup. Unfortunately there isnt much room down there. I popped the belt off, spun the idler, and confirmed a little bit of a crunchy feel when I spun it. Once I removed the idler and drove the bearing out, it was clearly worn. Literally took 10 min and $7 for diagnosis and repair.

Idler bearings are a 203FF at Oreilleys. 40mmX17mmX12mm

Im not saying that sounds like a bad idler, because to me it kind of doesnt, but it is the most likely point of failure on the blower belt system in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0002SQYSM

I'm going over to my friends house who has a stethoscope. And the bearing on the idler pulley below the supercharger is done, doesn't move freely at all, stops right after i spin it by hand.

Thanks for your input, I'll update on what I found.

MG0h3

Established Member
Cool man. Good job.

If it were me Id just replace that bearing along with any others that feel like that. Dont want it to seize and cook your belt. If the noise persists you can continue the search.

MachToLoud1

Established Member
Cool man. Good job.

If it were me Id just replace that bearing along with any others that feel like that. Dont want it to seize and cook your belt. If the noise persists you can continue the search.

Could the crank pulley be the one making that noise, the bushing are pretty bad. I've found several threads on crank pulley making noise. Really want able to isolate the noise with the stethoscope

Users who are viewing this thread