Help! Wedding Ideas?

04 Redline

Established Member
Kind of long, but please read and input if you can. Me and the fiance are going to marry this year (August). Here's the thing. Cost. Her family does not have the money to finance a wedding. Her peice fo crap father left her mom when she was 1, leaving 3 kids to a Taiwanese mother who could barely speak English, so it's just her mom. No money there. I love my girl, and she wants something nice, but not over the top as it gets expensive. Can't ask my family because they are shelling out $30K for my sister's in April. So that leaves me and her as the cost suppliers. I have 2 condos, 2 cars (bought her an 06 F-150 3 months ago), so I really don't want to put myself into too much debt with an elaborate wedding.
I have enough in my savings to do something nice, but I like to keep enough away for emergencies. She deserves the best, but I just do not see the rationale of putting ourselves in debt as we start our new life. I hate how some people are so critical of weddings, and they don't even shell out a dime. Complain of food, beverage, ambiance, and even the attire. I feel uneasy draining my accounts for the potential ungrateful bastard to criticize our happy day, to my face or not. Weddings have come to the point that they are almost for the guests, and not the bride and groom. You become overwhelmed with stress, deadlines, potiential drunk idiots who complain that they have to pay for their booze, so you in turn shell out another two grand for an open bar, and so on.
To some of you, I may sound cheap, but my reasoning to my fiance is I am more excited about the new life, not the day. Before we met I purchased my home, and an investment property, so our dwelling is secure. We have new, safe vehicles (F-150, Montego), and we have savings. I think we are off to a great start, better than some, even though our wedding won't be as cool. I'm thinking Vegas. Ideas?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I know people that have gotten married in various foreign places like The Bahamas, USVI, Hawaii, etc. You invite a small wedding party and have a nice reception at a great restaurant and you are already there for your honeymoon. So, can be very affordable.

Then when you get back have an informal reception in the backyard and get it catered. You can usually get a nice catered buffet for $10/pp and add a DJ. This way you can have another 150 people for under $2000.

Good Luck. I think you have the best mindset which is that you love and respect your fiance. You have a house and new cars and everything else in place so there is no reason you cant do this wedding as a small and affordable classy event.

Good Luck

2003 Silver

Banned
Yeah, weddings are overrated IMO. Most people gripe about going to them anyway. That being said most brides like to have a nice reception (nice doesn't have to mean spending big bucks)...I would have probably held off on the new f-150 and put some of the money towards the reception.

04 Redline

Established Member
I would have held off on the truck for her, but her Hyundai Elantra felt like it was made of tinfoil, and I did not feel right knowing that her safety could be comprimised God forbid. You guys are right though, the reception must receive some more attention.

2003 Silver

Banned
04 Redline said:
I would have held off on the truck for her, but her Hyundai Elantra felt like it was made of tinfoil, and I did not feel right knowing that her safety could be comprimised God forbid. You guys are right though, the reception must receive some more attention.

Good call.....safety first. Good luck in your plans.

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
The only thing that could go wrong with the small ceremony in the Bahamas is that youll have people griping about not getting invited, so remember that. Congrats on the wedding, best of luck with it. My sister is getting married in a month and I know how stressful and expensive it is.

Users who are viewing this thread