Help w/GT500 Info Please

DrTaco

Established Member
Hey all,

First time poster from over at the 03/04 forums. Last week, about 30 minutes after I got out of the Marines, my Cobra was t-boned and declared a total loss. So, I'm beginning the long process of looking into the GT500 as a possible replacement. But I soon realized that I pretty much know nothing about the platform. Could any of you gents let me know some good sites where I can get a good overview and comparision/differences between the production years? I'll be lurking on this forum from now on, so thanks in advance for all the info I'll get.

Thanks a lot, it is appreciated.

Mark

P.S For all you sickos who want to see a dead Cobra, here you go :nonono::
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/617431-im-lucky-alive-but-cobra-gone.html

AlCaPwn

Established Member
Do you want info comaparing the GT500 to the 03 Cobra platform or info comaparing the different years of GT500s? I also came from an 03 Cobra to a GT500 and I am very happy. I absolutely loved my 03 and I definately love my new GT500.

DrTaco

Established Member
Hey AlCaPwn,

Looking for differences between the GT500 years because I know nothing except about the changes in the 2010s. But, you're pretty happy with your change to the GT500? Anything you regret about switching models? Thanks!

AlCaPwn

Established Member
The cobra was lighter and I liked that but honestly it isn't a big deal at all. The GT500 seems to run the same times if not faster at the same power levels than my cobra did. Dunno if it is because launching a straight axle is more at home to me or what. So the added weight with the same RWHP hasn't been a factor this far. The only thing I miss about my Cobra is I had it modded bigtime by the time I sold it and was rolling with about 620 RWHP when she left. Now I am starting over but I would do it again in a heartbeat because this car ( my GT500 ) rides like no other and is beautiful. Like I said, I love em both but if I had to start over again on one it is GT500 hands down. I know that if you get an '07 you need to do a lower pulley upgrade and 07, 08, and some early 09s need a transmission TSB in some cases. Other than that, they are all pretty much the same. I really thing you will feel the same way about you descision if you get a GT500 that I did.

Mikey org gt500

Established Member
First THANK U sir for ur services....

I've never owned a 03 04 car but the 500 is awesome. 07/09 are pretty much the same minus some stupid options... They love mods and haulass. Its good for long rides also, I've drove to NC 2 times no complaints at all... Oh yea I go threw tires a lot but its all in good fun

AlCaPwn

Established Member
This forum really helps with any and all questions. I wish I had this kind of knowledgable people and support ,from a forum this strong, when I was doing my 03 Cobra! I am always willing to help cause I would definately be waaaaay worse off without the help of everyone here lol!

6-Speed

Established Member
The 2007 through 2009 GT500s are the same platform with some minor changes between years. I will attempt to list the changes from memory so this may not be a complete list.

2008:
1. Engine harmonic balancer replaced with a lighter pulley
2. Interior ambient lighting option added
3. HID headlight option added
4. Vapor added as an exterior color option
5. Some minor tranny mods were introduced (updated input shaft and clutch)
6. Inside window weather strip lined with felt to prevent scratching window tint

2009:
1. Satellite Radio became a standard feature rather than an option
2. Starting in late August/September 2008, an improved Flywheel was installed replacing one that's susceptible to warping due to heat associated with stop/go driving. A TSB has been issued to cover related failures.

Last edited:

AlCaPwn

Established Member
I am sorry about the wreck. I know how that feels. But look on the bright side, you get to be discharged and get right into a GT500! When I got to come home from the Army Infantry I got to get into a beat up, hand me down Ranger lol! Anytime you need any help at all don't hesitate to ask!

DrTaco

Established Member
Hey all, thanks a lot for the info. Especially AlCaPwn and 6-speed. Happy there weren't too many differences, kinda widens my search now.

Users who are viewing this thread