Help! Used Vortech Install Questions

myrsvt

Established Member
Hey guys. Have been checking out your site for several months just havent posted yet. I'm sure you can really help me out here and Thanks in advance.

Just purchased a used incomplete Vortech V-1 kit. (no intercooler but Head unit, mounting bracket, most of the plumbing etc.) But I need some questions answered to complete the kit.

For reference I have a 96 Cobra well maintained 90K but completely stock engine. Also, I downloaded from Vortech site the installation/kit parts manual as a starting point for what I need. So here are my qustions so far.

1. The seller said the unit has the GT impeller upgrade. From what I understand this produces boost sooner than the Cobra impeller. Is this correct and what boost should I expect with the V1 assuming a stock size pulley? Would it be too much for my stock motor (maybe need larger pulley)?

2. The Vortech install/parts manual basis their install on a completely stock motor (no upgraded injectors, MAF etc.). Is this ok? How much benifit with more upgrades? If so, what upgrades would you recommend?

3. The 8:1 FMU spoken of in the install manual. Would this be correct for my application?

4.Would a 255lph replacement intank pump be sufficient?

5. The Vortech manual also shows the IAT sensor on the intake side of the supercharger but I have read that it is more accurate on the boost side. Is that correct?

6. Vortech says to send the ECM to them for modification but can't a good tuner do everything I need? Speaking of tuners, there seem to be a huge shortage in my neck of the woods except for Pro Dyno who setup at Mustang Week here in Myrtle Beach. Anyone had dealings with them or could recommend somone else around here?

I know that's alot to ask and I know I'll have even more questions but Please Help! I'm new and IGNORANT on most of the FI/Tuner stuff.
Thank again for any help and hope to see some of you guys here at Mustang Week!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
An upgrade in the fuel department is a must. 42lb injectors, lighting 90mm maf or ABACO OR SCT 2600 will do just fine. The latter two have more room to grow in the future as the lightning unit seems to have a 475rwhp ish ceiling. A Walbro 255 will be perfect.

As for the impeller from my understanding it helps bring boost in faster. I've never heard of a Cobra impeller, its very likely that the GT impeller has no relation to mustangs in particular just the head unit itself.

Safe boost is 6-8psi. You could run more that but you will be very limited on the timing you can run. The shortblock is good for about 450rwhp give or take. After that you are really on borrowed time as the stock rods and pistons suck. The tune you get will make or break your car so DO NOT SKIMP ON THE TUNE!!! I can't emphasize that enough.

To add for the IAT sensor, it is more accurate to run it just before the throttle body as that is the air that is going directly into the intake manifold. However, seeing as how you are running an non intercooled set up(I would get an intercooler if I were you) you may have to run it on the super charger inlet since you will be running a draw through set up. I'm not sure about this so hopefully someone will clarify.

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
2. The Vortech install/parts manual basis their install on a completely stock motor (no upgraded injectors, MAF etc.). Is this ok? How much benifit with more upgrades? If so, what upgrades would you recommend?

Look at a 255lph in tank pump and #42 injectors.

3. The 8:1 FMU spoken of in the install manual. Would this be correct for my application?

Tie the FMU to a illegal immigrant and send both back to Mexico.

4.Would a 255lph replacement intank pump be sufficient?

Yes.

6. Vortech says to send the ECM to them for modification but can't a good tuner do everything I need?

Do not send ECU to Vortech. Waste of time and effort. A good dyno tune will give you far better results.

I know that's alot to ask and I know I'll have even more questions but Please Help! I'm new and IGNORANT on most of the FI/Tuner stuff.
Thank again for any help and hope to see some of you guys here at Mustang Week!

Anything you can't get answers for here post your questions in the Blower Bistro section of SVTP.

myrsvt

Established Member
Ok so adding the 42# injectors eliminates the need for the FMU?

Also, on the impeller, the way I understood it the Vortech head units for the Mustang Cobra and the Mustang GT had different impellers and this unit has an "upgraded" GT impeller. Is that just a bunch of BS.:shrug:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Ok so adding the 42# injectors eliminates the need for the FMU?

Also, on the impeller, the way I understood it the Vortech head units for the Mustang Cobra and the Mustang GT had different impellers and this unit has an "upgraded" GT impeller. Is that just a bunch of BS.:shrug:

I tried the FMU with my V2 kit and Vortech "tune" and found the car flat on its face above 5500rpm. A 255 pump, #42 injectors and dyno tune eliminated the FMU.

The Cobra and GT do have different impeller specs but I can't say how much of a difference the GT impeller would make on a Cobra.

crazycarlo

Established Member
the GT impeller makes boost a lil sooner. Vortech trimmed back the impeller for the cobra because it had an extra 1,000 rpm/ Youll be fine with the GT one in fact youll see boost sooner and prob 1-2 extra psi. With a stock 3.6 pulley u might see 8 psi with the GT impeller.

myrsvt

Established Member
Thanks guys. Getting me on track here.

So, 42# injectors, MAF upgrade, 255lph intank, replace oil seal, IAT on boost side, and good tune.

Anything else important I'm leaving out?

Like I said earlier Tuners seem hard to come by around here. Anybody familier with Pro Dyno? I think they are out of North Carolina but they set up here in Myrtle Beach for Mustang Week. Know of anybody else around here? How safe is it to travel after new installs to a tuner in case I have to travel some distance?

Riskeman

Established Member
Talk to the tuner you intend on using before purchasing the MAF. Some tuners perfer different brands of MAF's and if you use the suggested brand and size it will make dealing with your tuner easier. Also talk out the rest of the combo with the tuner to get his suggestions.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
These guys told you right, dump the fmu. If you have missing some parts get the part # and get on superchargersonline.com or call summit. Summit will match prices too! Vortech pricing and shipping is a little much.

Users who are viewing this thread