HELP !!!!!! Thermostat install problems

cdh027

Established Member
This seems to be my motief lately. Anyway, I installed the 170 degree thermostat (major mess), refilled with half gold and half distilled water. Went for a ride and let it warm up. I tried getting on it and it sputtered bogged everytime. How the hell can replacing the thermostat cause this ???? Please help with any ideas ? :shrug:

Mongoose 03

The Godfather
Established Member
You're probably runnin hot due to air. You need to (burp) or fill the system via the black tube on top of the motor...I believe it takes just a 1/4" rachet to remove the plug.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
hope this helps...

here's the service manual's section on cooling system draining, filling and bleeding:

cdh027

Established Member
Thanks for the info JB.

Mongoose, you think its overheating even if the temp gauge stayed dead center ? or will the gauge not even read properly if there is air in the system ?

Mongoose 03

The Godfather
Established Member
I believe you was readin incorrectly and you were prolly runnin in limp mode. Did you burp the system and try it out again?

cdh027

Established Member
Not yet. I pulled her in the garage and let her cool. I will burp the system tommorow after work. I'm sure you're right about the air in the system, it's the only logical explanation. Good thing I didnt drive it too far. So the car goes into limp mode if it senses some overheat ?

Mongoose 03

The Godfather
Established Member
Yep, just enough to get ya home and not hurt the engine. Good luck tomorrow........pretty sure thats your problem :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread