Help, Running hot, having a bad past few weeks.

jwt390030

Established Member
Car got upwards of 230 today and I had to shut it down. I had the AC, lights and radio on. What the heck could be causing this.

Car is supercharged with a tune, new water pump, thermostat. Checked the oil when I got back and I was about a quart low. I have some oil accumulating on the back driver's side of the valve cover.

Could really use some help guys. I have to be in it for three hours one way Wednesday to and from Charlotte, NC.

Cheers,

John

LDC2335

Established Member
Nothing worse than having zero replies when your struggling. So I'll jump in with some ideas.

Is the fan kicking on? Low and High speed? Check relays, fuses, etc.

Ant way to ensure your new thermostat is not sticking?

Is this an on going issue, or just this day?

Oil on covers? where at, pics?

Can the 96+ run hotter? I didn't think 230 was that bad for a hot day. Especially boosted, with no intercooler (assuming).

jwt390030

Established Member
Nothing worse than having zero replies when your struggling. So I'll jump in with some ideas.

Is the fan kicking on? Low and High speed? Check relays, fuses, etc.

Ant way to ensure your new thermostat is not sticking?

Is this an on going issue, or just this day?

Oil on covers? where at, pics?

Can the 96+ run hotter? I didn't think 230 was that bad for a hot day. Especially boosted, with no intercooler (assuming).

Thanks for jumping in. I keep reading that s%$t starts to go bad north of 230. i'll throw up some pics of the oil tomorrow. I am not sure how to check if a thermostat is sticking.

This all started about a week ago. I was playing with that little idler screw on the throttle body trying to get the idle up and it started to run hot after messing with it. I screwed it back down and still same issue unfortunately.

I had to hang my wire tuck up higher and I am wondering if I messed anything up from the fan to the harness. I hope not that will be a blast to go hunting through.

Cheers,

John

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I believe the OP has a OHV 5.0. But in your case I would start with the cooling system basics. Fans, water pump, purging the system, thermostat, fuses, relays, etc and report back. Btw, how are you reading temps?

If all else get a cooling system pressure test, if everything else check out okay.

Last edited:

jwt390030

Established Member
I believe the OP has a OHV 5.0. But in your case I would start with the cooling system basics. Fans, water pump, purging the system, thermostat, fuses, relays, etc and report back. Btw, how are you reading temps?

If all else get a cooling system pressure test, if everything else check out okay.

going off an autometer manual water temp gauge.

jwt390030

Established Member
Low on coolant, fan kicked in and did its job. Threw some water wetter in and added oil back too. Tightened valve cover no more leak and also found some header bolts loose. Talk about a morning.

Thank for all the help guys.

Cheers,

John

Users who are viewing this thread