HELP!!!!! Reversing shims

kennster

Long Haired Lightning
Established Member
HELP!!..i dropped the axle..away from the springs....how does the shim break away from that sombiotch..its like its part of the spring..like another small leaf.
there is a bolt through all the leafs that just spin when i try too loosen it....please help..i need to get too work in the morning....lol...

203Cree

Established Member
you'll have to get that bolt that runs thru the spring out somehow, that's the alignment pin and it runs thru the shims. Get that bolt out, your shims will drop. Good luck.

lightning66

Established Member
use visegrips to hold the stud in place. It wouldnt hurt to spray some PB Blaster or similar lubricant that will help loosen things for ya

kennster

Long Haired Lightning
Established Member
right on guys....thanks........it didnt look like there is too much too to grab onto under the shim..the stud was only about an eighth below....oh well......its dark....so i GAVE UP...(WUSS....i know).....took it all apart...just to put it back..lol.....well thanks...i will try that next time i have more daylight....will just deal with the vibration..lol....^5ss cheers

OH-MAN

Established Member
When you get set to do it vice grip or C clamp the spring pack together .
Don't ask how I know this.
The bolt goes back in much easier.

203Cree

Established Member
OH-MAN said:
When you get set to do it vice grip or C clamp the spring pack together .
Don't ask how I know this.
The bolt goes back in much easier.

LOL, so you did that too, huh? Boy, I felt kinda stupid after that one.

OH-MAN

Established Member
203Cree said:
LOL, so you did that too, huh? Boy, I felt kinda stupid after that one.

I was amazing how hard it was to line up a couple springs, everytime I moved one it moved another one, Over an hour putting in that silly little bolt!
I do many things that make me feel stupid, allways look around to see if anyone sees it and is laughing their ass off.

JJ@WMS

Banned
kennster said:
HELP!!..i dropped the axle..away from the springs....how does the shim break away from that sombiotch..its like its part of the spring..like another small leaf.
there is a bolt through all the leafs that just spin when i try too loosen it....please help..i need to get too work in the morning....lol...

Are you trying to spin the shim because you put shackles on and want to fix the pinion angle? If so, just spin the pinion shim, there is no need to remove the springpack bolt, just loosen it a tad and tap the ship with a hammer until its facing the other way.

As mentioned by someone else, C-clamps work great to hold everything in place.

Good luck

JJ@WMS

lightning66

Established Member
JJ@WMS hit the nail on the head. There is no reason to remove the bolt. If you do remove the bolt, than it is necessary to keep all leafs in alignment, basically keeping all the bolt holes in alignment. I have a 03 and I dropped mine 2inches in the rear. I have left the shim in place, I have rotated 180* and finally removed both shims completely. The ride is back to normal with no vibration and with my measurements with a cheap craftsman angle finder, I am back to stock measurements. Some food for thought if you have a 03-04. Ask me how I know this? :D :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread