Help...! (re: clutch quadrant install)

newcastle

I am attempting to install a UPR triple hook clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. Can anyone tell me the best way to shim this triple hook quadrant correctly? I only bought 12 washers and this does not seem to be enough. The quadrant is spaced out far enough from the arm that rotates it, but I am out of washers and need to know if it needs to be sandwiched on those two shafts tight. (the two pins that keep it on to the two shafts have some space between them and the quadrant). Is this fine or am I begging for a derailed clutch cable? If anyone can give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
IMO, it is not necessary to shim both rods. I just shimmed the center rod on both sides. Also, I had 2 different sets of washers (different thicknesses) so by mixing and matching, I was able to shim it fairly tight, on both sides of the quadrant. Most of the washers are on the inside, with only 1 or 2 (I can't remember exactly because I have CRS Disease) on the outside. A little movement shoudln't hurt as long as the quadrant is in line with the cable coming through the firewall.

If you shim it too loose, you may hear a "click" when pushing in the pedal. That would be the cable riding up on the ridge, then falling down into the groove. This is bad as it will eventually wear through the cable and break.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
The top one if gonna have some space, you are more worried about the center one, because this is where the cable comes threw.

I went to ACE hardware and got plastic spacers...used two on center and one on top. None on the outside..it rides on the pin somewhat. I would take pics but my car is at my buddy's house.

Users who are viewing this thread