Help!!! Questions on selling a car to a buyer from another state

VT4ever

Established Member
I placed my 2003 cobra on sale here and it may sell to someone out of state. The buyer would not be doing the transaction in person and would have the car shipped to his location. For those who have done this in the past, what is the best way to go about this transaction (payment method, title transfer, shipping)?

Also, if a buyer buys the car sight unseen and doesn't have a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) done, can he come back later saying "the car is not as advertised" and sue for a refund? I've provided any and all pictures and information the prospective buyer requested and even suggested that a PPI be conducted (though the offer was turned down). I've always been under the assumption that used cars are sold as-is and it is the responsibility of the buyer to check for issues. I'm probably being paranoid with this one but selling a car to someone I have never met in person is new territory for me. I just want to make sure I do everything right.

Any helpful information is appreciated :)

Thanks,
Chris

jbs$

Established Member
Wired funds to your bank only. Only way to avoid risk of a bad check or payment scam.

VT4ever

Established Member
Wired funds to your bank only. Only way to avoid risk of a bad check or payment scam.

That's what I was thinking too and I don't think that'll be a problem. The buyer also wants me to scan the title over as proof of ownership. Is this okay?

jbs$

Established Member
I would FAX a copy rather than scan one. Also, I would write across the FAXed copy, faxed copy for buyer inspection only. A scanned copy can be further manipulated where as the FAXed copy would be difficult to do so.

10splaya22

Established Member
I have scanned a copy of the title when I sold my cobra out of state. Make sure all the funds are in your account before it leaves your hands. Also I would make up 2 bills of sale and send them to the buyer. Have the buyer keep one and send the other signed copy to you. That way you each have identical bills of sale. Then the money can be wired and the car shipped and the title sent.

Users who are viewing this thread