Help! Question about timing chain install

Josh7178

Established Member
I got my shortblock together and heads bolted down. I'm in the process of installing a new timing set. All the components are new from Ford Racing. The secondary chains went on no problem. The passenger side primary chain went on no problem. Here's the problem I'm having, when I installed the drivers side primary chain, I still have some slack in it. The slack is only along the straight guide. The tensioner seems to be working properly, as there's no slack along the curved guide. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems the tensioner would just take the slack out along the curved guide and I would still have slack on the bottom. Is this caused by one of the cams trying to pull one way or another?? And will it tighten up if I'd turn the motor over slightly?? Thanks in advance for any advice

shurur

Established Member
If you are just lining up the brass links....

You are really going to want to degree those cams while you're in there and get both heads within a degree of TDC.

From what little I have looked at it, you degree the two primaries cam chains, then clamp them and do the secondaries.

anyway..some folks who have actually done this will chime in I'm sure.

You can also PM NA SVT for advice.

But I wouldn't be too quick to button it up without taking the time to degree them cams..not after getting as far as you have.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
It will tighten up as soon as you turn the motor over by hand. I experienced this same wtf moment on my last engine assembly.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
i typed out a huge reply just after you posted and the website errored or something

its normal. this is why you have to use vice grips on stock cams to hold them while you're putting the chains on correctly...because the cam is on the verge of turning over. the slack is because it needs to be rotate to turn over. you'll get your tension then.

Users who are viewing this thread