Help. Pulley swap for dummies

stanglx2.3

Established Member
I have a 2003 cobra and im looking at doing a pulley swap. I have been looking on the forums and have found a lot of good information. I am looking for one place that has a good write up of the pulley swap 101. I want information on which pulley to pick, size and type (hub and pulley etc.) Upper and/or lower Other additions needed or recommended (like plugs and heat exchangers, tune,idler pullies) looking for good hard facts. With so many people doing the swap I am surprised that there is not one already up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If one is up, I would love to read it. If not, and I get enough information on here, I will make one.
Thanks in advance

cj428mach

Established Member
I have a 2003 cobra and im looking at doing a pulley swap. I have been looking on the forums and have found a lot of good information. I am looking for one place that has a good write up of the pulley swap 101. I want information on which pulley to pick, size and type (hub and pulley etc.) Upper and/or lower Other additions needed or recommended (like plugs and heat exchangers, tune,idler pullies) looking for good hard facts. With so many people doing the swap I am surprised that there is not one already up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If one is up, I would love to read it. If not, and I get enough information on here, I will make one.
Thanks in advance

If you want advice here you need to tell us about your vehicle, your goals, your available fuel sources, etc...

stanglx2.3

Established Member
I don't have plans to upgrade the fuel system unless it is necessary. I want to start a build list so anything that needs to be added will just add another paychecks time to get it on the car. My current goal is 500rwhp but I don't want to limit myself. I want to get the most out of the eaton that I can without damaging it or the motor.

04GTMustang

Established Member
500 RWHP is at the limit for a stock fuel system and MAF. You will want to upgrade to a BA2600 or similar MAF. For 500 RWHP, you will need a ported eaton. You can get 460-470 without a port depending on your supporting mods.

If you plan on going MORE than 500 But LESS than 650 do the following supporting mods:
60lb injectors
KB Boost-A-Pump + Wiring upgrade
JLT Intake (Or similar)
BA2600 MAF (Or similar)

Port the eaton or do a twin screw.

Otherwise I would do a 2.76 Upper or a 2.93/4lb lower setup (better for a ported eaton). Get the car tuned and see where you are at with the fuel system. Every car is different. My car was done at 470 RWHP on the stock pumps so I had to get a BAP, and even with the BAP it was done again at 570 hp. Some cars have seen 650 rwhp on stock pumps and a BAP.

The easiest way to start is a 2.9 or 2.76 upper, intake, exhaust. Get a tune and see where everything is at (should put you around 450-460 rwhp) If you plan on more power down the road, do the MAF and injectors/BAP or new pumps now.

Users who are viewing this thread