*HELP* Problem with the Mach

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
Little bit of a problem with the Mach.

Upon starting it up in the morning it has a really pronounced, high pitch whirling sound. Pressing in the clutch quiets this noise down, but doesnt take it away completely.

Now, when the car warms up, the noise is basically gone. Im stumped.

My first thought was that something was up with my crank/ac pulleys. Its tough to describe a noise in words, but its like a raspy rubbing sound if that makes sense.

Popped the hood and everything is running smoothly down there.

Do you guys think it could be my throw-out bearing? Pressing in the clutch seems to quiet down the noise, which leads me to believe it has something to do with the clutch.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appriciated.

Thanks

UNLUCKIER

Established Member
That would make me believe that it is the throw out bearing. Do you have a adjustable clutch quadrant? You can adjust it to put a little pressure on it to see if it goes away. But do not let it go to long because it is going out and could eventually seize up.

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
This has been going on for a couple of weeks.

I dont have an adjustable clutch quadrant...

Is there any other way to confirm this is the problem?

4valvemach

Established Member
It could be the TOB you can pull the cover off the and take a look at it.My TOB broke in half sending the ball bearings rolling around and making a horrible
squealing sound.I was lucky to be close to home and drove clutch less only having to start from a stop one time:D

buckinwild

Established Member
Odds are it is just the throw out bearing, they are usually a little noisy regardless and moreso in colder weather seems like. If the noise goes away as you mentioned I'd say no cause for alarm. If it doesn't go away and gets progressively louder over time especially while depressed since thats when it has the most pressure on it then its ready for a new one.

RcodeStang

Established Member
I thought the TOB-going-bad noise happened when you pushed the clutch pedal in and not the other way around? In neutral with the clutch engaged (pedal up) I have a noise that goes away when I disengage the clutch (pedal down). I figured it was the input shaft or something.

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the same sound, I think.

As soon as you touch the clutch it goes away, but, it only comes up sometimes when the car is warmed up.

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
I thought the TOB-going-bad noise happened when you pushed the clutch pedal in and not the other way around? In neutral with the clutch engaged (pedal up) I have a noise that goes away when I disengage the clutch (pedal down). I figured it was the input shaft or something.

^ This- Noise with the pedal up, noise quiets down with the pedel down.

So, alot of you guys have this noise, but it doesn't concern you? Or your just in the same boat as me? LOL

I mean, the car still seems to run ok. The clutch releases and grabs good... But the noise does not sound good...

I flushed the tranny fluid recently to see if that would help, but no luck.

Guess I should just take the car in to a transmission shop, but I dont wanna get ripped off.

If you guys have any other ideas, let me know.

4valvemach

Established Member
A TOB should not make any noise and if it does then the grease has been worn away.It could last a year and break like mine did or a few more days it still needs replaced.You are going to pay a labor rate around $90 hour for most shops.If you got a friend to help you can do it yourself just be ready to curse to bloody hell the top two trans bolts:fm:

buckinwild

Established Member
I flushed the tranny fluid recently to see if that would help, but no luck.
How long have you owned the car in question and about what is the mileage? The TOB is not in the part of the tranny where the fluid goes btw.

Last edited:

GTdriver94

03 Mach 1
Established Member
i used to have that noise! and i really dint think anything of it untill a month later it got louder than my car and smoke started comin out from my engine and u could smelll the clutch really bad!
turns out it was my throw out bearing that did that, also i had to get a new clutch so a throw out bearing and a new clutch cost me abt 1200 dollars :(

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
i used to have that noise! and i really dint think anything of it untill a month later it got louder than my car and smoke started comin out from my engine and u could smelll the clutch really bad!
turns out it was my throw out bearing that did that, also i had to get a new clutch so a throw out bearing and a new clutch cost me abt 1200 dollars :(

^
HOLY S!?T!... Thanks for the heads up. I have already started to notice the smell slightly when I pop the hood after a long drive.

Any clue what this will run me to have it installed? I already ordered the Ford Racing throwout bearing... The part was pretty cheap, only like $45.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appriciate it.

buckinwild

Established Member
Does the bellhousing and gearbox separate on these cars? If so, he shouldn't have to unbolt the bellhousing right? Unless he's gonna do a clutch/pressure plate change also.

Users who are viewing this thread