HELP!!! Power loss. ):

GTJackie

Established Member
Okay so i'll be drivin and will come to a stop light. Put it in neutral and start braking and the car turns itself off. You can't hear it turn off, you just feel the difference in the brakes. So in order to stop I have to put the clutch in and turn it back on super fast. Thoughts on what's wrong???? It's a scary thing!!!!!!:shrug:

usmcgtstang2141

Established Member
check your battery out and the alternator. the battery could be dead and the alternator could be grounded out or bad as well. thats the 2 scenarios ive had before.

JoeyR

omgwtfhax
Established Member
Both above comments would be my best guess(cleaning your MAF is pretty essential). A basic tune up would surely get things running properly, Air Filter/ Fuel Filter/Plugs/Fuel Injector Cleaner/Seafoam......

Nemesis96

Established Member
I don't know if this is the same, I understand your car is stick. My car is auto, but sometimes when I put it in neutral or park my car it wants to turn off. If I leave the problem to prolong then it turns off on me once put on park or neutral unless I give it a bit of gas. Usually cleaning the MAF, air filter and changing the oil eliminates the anomalies. I don't know if this may help....

cotchnobra

Established Member
What is your rpm at Idle? Does the car surge at Idle? Also are there any mods done to the car? There are a number of things that can cause this most of which are pretty simple to fix.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
You need to check for a vacuum leak. Almost any time I've had a problem like that with any car it was almost always vacuum related.

GTJackie

Established Member
I've heard a dirty MAF can cause this. I'm sure others will chime in though

Both above comments would be my best guess(cleaning your MAF is pretty essential). A basic tune up would surely get things running properly, Air Filter/ Fuel Filter/Plugs/Fuel Injector Cleaner/Seafoam......

Good idea i will check that out:beer:

What is your rpm at Idle? Does the car surge at Idle? Also are there any mods done to the car? There are a number of things that can cause this most of which are pretty simple to fix.

It sits around normal Idle....750-800 rpm and no it doesn't

You need to check for a vacuum leak. Almost any time I've had a problem like that with any car it was almost always vacuum related.

I will look at that as well :beer:

maxgt281

Established Member
I had something similar with my '01 GT. It turned out to be the IAC Valve on the front of the plenum. Try cleaning it first with some throttle body cleaner. If that doesn't work its pretty cheap to replace.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I had something similar with my '01 GT. It turned out to be the IAC Valve on the front of the plenum. Try cleaning it first with some throttle body cleaner. If that doesn't work its pretty cheap to replace.

Ya know.......That would be a good idea to check. She is bringing it over Monday so we will see whats going on with it. We will keep you all posted to see what exactly what it is :beer: If anyone else has Ideas or the same Idea speak up :thumbsup:

4valvemach

Established Member
Some mach's have the same problem when coming to a stop and throwing it in neutral they stall out.Most of the time its with the MAF sensor screen not in,dirty or the MAF sensor is dirty.

:shrug:

GTJackie

Established Member
Some mach's have the same problem when coming to a stop and throwing it in neutral they stall out.Most of the time its with the MAF sensor screen not in,dirty or the MAF sensor is dirty.

:shrug:

I will surely check that MAF out.........seems to be what alot of people think! Thank you!!!!!:-D

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I have checked the CEL and none of the codes pulling up are related to this problem. It was o2 and Gas Cap. Im going to be looking at it today...Right now to be honest. :beer:

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Looks like it is running better. Cleaned the MAF and gave it a new Air Filter....it was Pure Dirt. Thanks guys for the input :beer:

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I am the lucky one that get the pleasure of dating her :rockon::beer::banana::banana: I also checked for a vacuum leak and I didn't see any or see any lines broken.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread