HELP!!! possible EGR valve problems

sikwitit36

Banned
Being in the military I headed to Alaska for 12 months. I left my truck at home in my ole mans garage for several reasons. I put some fuel stabilizer in the gas tank. Pops is mechanically inclined so he knows it needed to be driven as every now and then. But I guess it wasnt enough.

I get home from Alaska on leave and I notice the Check Engine light is on. The light hardly ever goes off but it has a few times for a couple of miles then its right back on again. Ive ran higher octane all kinds of gas treatment GUMOUT and all that stuff to burn out what might be clogging it up. This was about 3 months ago and its still on. The truck runs fine. Ive noticed no difference in the way it runs, even at high speeds. Its a 01 Explorer with 33000 miles.

We were both thinkin possible the EGR was gummed up from sittin around. I would like to hear from some other experts of what you think it might be. Im about to change it anyways. It aint going to set me back but about 50 bucks.

Do you guys think it could be the EGR valve thats just clogged up?

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Do you have a hand held tuner(Predator)? You could check to see what code it is throwing... I would guess O2...(I realy dont think there is alot of Mechanically inclined people here, I think most of them are part changers....)

Users who are viewing this thread