*Help Please* Installed Boss 302 Intake.........Strange Sound/loss of power??

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Just installed the Boss Intake today with a new Bama tune and for the most part, I LOVE it! Screams to 7,600rpm like NOTHING!

But, I'm getting a weird noise and loss of power for an instant when I shift quickly.

I ran it a few times while making adjustments to the CAI hoses, making sure it's flowing well. I'll be in 2nd gear at 3K, nail it and it pulls GREAT! I shift to 3rd, bury the throttle, and there's a strange cavitation sound coming from the intake for a moment. At the same time, there is a noticeable loss in power, then, it's gone and she's running strong again to redline.......hit 4th, same thing. It seems to do it every time I'm running quickly through the gears.

Otherwise, along with the Barton SS, it's my favorite mod so far!:banana:

BTW, I checked all the connections, bolts, ect. Everything seems to be just fine.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Tony

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Just installed the Boss Intake today with a new Bama tune and for the most part, I LOVE it! Screams to 7,600rpm like NOTHING!

But, I'm getting a weird noise and loss of power for an instant when I shift quickly.

I ran it a few times while making adjustments to the CAI hoses, making sure it's flowing well. I'll be in 2nd gear at 3K, nail it and it pulls GREAT! I shift to 3rd, bury the throttle, and there's a strange cavitation sound coming from the intake for a moment. At the same time, there is a noticeable loss in power, then, it's gone and she's running strong again to redline.......hit 4th, same thing. It seems to do it every time I'm running quickly through the gears.

Otherwise, along with the Barton SS, it's my favorite mod so far!:banana:

BTW, I checked all the connections, bolts, ect. Everything seems to be just fine.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Tony

Does it just go blank, like the motor's shut off for a spit second?
Turn off AdvanceTrac, or torque reduction kicking in.

Last edited:

Tony_GT_14

Established Member

Nah, there's an audible change in the tone of the intake (deeper or like something is clogging it) and a slight, but noticeable, loss of power. Just for a second or two.

:shrug:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
air intake nice and tight? My car after installing a boss mani and jlt cai was acting a little funny for a few days then completely refused to idle and run at all. Pulled up the hood and had blown my intake out. Guess i didn't tighten the clamps on the silicone coupler tight enough. My car didn't really make the noises you described, just throwing out ideas for ya.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Thanks. Yeah, I check the intake and even trimmed the silicon hose to get the intake to sit on the TB correctly.

I checked the filter and every other connection too. Maybe a problem with the electronic Throttle and/or tune??

Man, this is a little irritating! :nonono:

Ratchet

Established Member

Mine was doing exactly this from the sounds of it. I mentioned it to the tuner, he said it sounds like the torque limiting, so he shut that off on the tune and it hasn't done it since. To you may want to try shutting all TC off and rowing the gears again. Either way I would definitely mention it to Bama.:beer:

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Ok, I must be loosing my damn mind! She ran GREAT to 7600. Rolled the tires in 2nd and chirped'em in 3rd and 4th! I heard the sound (like a honk from the intake for about 200rpm) but really didn't notice the power loss. I THINK it had a minor loss.......but it might just be that if I shift at certain RPM's, the Intake tone changes for a couple hundred RPM. I ran her 1st-4th gear a few times.

I popped the hood when I got home and re-inspected ALL the hoses going to and from the intake. Everything looked/felt/sounded fine! I did notice that the purge valve is very audible. I'm assuming because of the hose being 2ft long now.

No codes, AeroForce is reading 11.5-12 AFR's@WOT so.........oh well. LOL

by9468840

Established Member
Maybe it's just tune issue? Try a tune from brenspeed. Their tune performed much better than others with my old boss manny.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Possible vct pulling cam timing or knock sensors pulling ignition timing. What fuel you run?
Always make sure the engine is up to operating temp before making any high rpm/load pulls.

Last edited:

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Possible vct pulling cam timing or knock sensors pulling ignition timing. What fuel you run?
Always make sure the engine is up to operating temp before making any high rpm/load pulls.

I always run BP or Shell 93 Octane.

I usually let it warm-up before even driving normally, but it's always up to temp before that tach swings past 3K.

dead man walkin

Established Member
Let me know your outcome, i have had the same weird noise and it feels like a timing pull then noise stops and back to pulling, I've talked to bama and they said the tune is good.. ive got to data log too. I can't read it.. but I'll data log!!

D.T.R

Established Member
like previously stated, it was probably the torque management kicking in.

Users who are viewing this thread