Help Please Diagnosing Squeak

VENOM650R

Established Member
I have 5000 miles on my COBRA and it has developed a squeak that is driving me crazy. It sounds like it is coming from the center of the dash while driving over bumps in the road, however, I walked past the front of the car while it was parked and idling and I heard the squeak coming from under the hood. Upon opening the hood it sounds like it is coming from the back of the engine next to the firewall, hence, why I'm hearing it in the car. Any ideas :idea: , I'm not that familiar with the COBRA under the sheet metal or composite yet.:??: THANKS!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
As bizarre as this may sound, I had a squeak just like the one you're describing and I found it to be my front bumper. The bottom is only held on with 4 plastic trim plugs/screws. Living in the DC area I have my share of bad roads. I check it every day and it is always loose at the end of the day. So loose that I'm suprised it is still attached to the car. Still amazed that Ford would use plastic push screws to hold a rubber bumper onto a $40k car. I have since put stainless steel screws with nuts in. Just my experience.

VENOM650R

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Try tapping on the plastic cowling at the base of the windshield.

Thanks for your input, however, after checking it is not the problem.

VENOM650R

Established Member
Originally posted by 03silvr10thvert
As bizarre as this may sound, I had a squeak just like the one you're describing and I found it to be my front bumper. The bottom is only held on with 4 plastic trim plugs/screws. Living in the DC area I have my share of bad roads. I check it every day and it is always loose at the end of the day. So loose that I'm suprised it is still attached to the car. Still amazed that Ford would use plastic push screws to hold a rubber bumper onto a $40k car. I have since put stainless steel screws with nuts in. Just my experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience, however, not the problem either. I'm going to apply your fix anyway as I too do not like the plastic push screws.

Anyone got any other ideas?:shrug:

quad

Established Member
I just developed this same problem after the dealer replaced my tranny last week. The car has about 2700 miles on it. Whenever I go over a bump there is a high pitched squeak eminating from the dashboard / shifter / transmission / back of engine area. It sounds like metal on metal.

I checked my bumper and it also looks very loose. I also just noticed that the alignment of my hood is not perfect. I keep on noticing things that I never saw before!! Man, I should be more critical when I buy a new car!

Users who are viewing this thread