HELP PLEASE 97 Cobra wont hold an idle

THE LIRA

Established Member
Back home in San Antonio,Texas TIME SERVED!!USMC
Hello all my name is Tony and I have a 97 Cobra that will not hold an idle in its own....
Here is the story:
we installed a new built motor and there is a little oil leak that I cannot find or identify. I did not put it on a lift because I have no access to one untill Friday but it is between the motor and tranny. The motor now has about 50 break in miles on it.

Idle problem #1 The car will turn on and then shut off right away. It will do this consistently it will not stay on one time and turn off the next. The idle seems rough and it goes down to about 300-400RPM and then off.

Idle problem #2 The other problem is when I push in the clutch and I am driving the car turns off not right away but it idles down to off. Like at a stoplight I will engage the clutch from second to put the brakes on and the car will shut off.

Here are some facts: it did have a little old gas in the tank that we could not get all the way out of the tank. We did put that Lucas gas treatment and 93 octane in it though. The car did sit for 15 months.

What could be the problem? PLEASE HELP she has been gone for 15 months and I need her running right she is my daily.

hollywood43

Established Member
My IAC looked good on my '98 Cobra but the idle was very inconsistent. I changed it and all of my idle issues are gone. This was after cleaning my MAF with electrical cleaner, IAC with carb cleaner and checking my TPS voltage.

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
I would suggest cleaning your MAF anyways. Its a good maintinance thing to do. Its possible that it solves your problem too.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Since the IAC or MAF snsor weren't found to be unplugged, my next guess would be a vacuum leak.

50 Proof

Established Member
THE LIRA said:
I cleaned the IAC and nothing I think I am going to replace the whole thing just to be sure. The MAF looked clean.

if you IAC is no good and in need of replacing, cleaning it out will not make your car run better.

Try this, when you are sitting in the car at a standstill with the engine running, quickly turn the steering wheel clockwise and counterclockwise and watch what happens to the RPMs. If your IAC is bad, it wont be able to counter act the load from the power steering pump and your engine will either stall or the idle will start going up and down.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
CEL (check engine light) could be anything. get the code read and report back.

My guess is a vaccum leak BTW and the CEL is going to be for a lean condition in both banks :)

THE LIRA

Established Member
Back home in San Antonio,Texas TIME SERVED!!USMC
Could it just be an O2 sensor that went bad? They have been sitting there for 15 months. The reason that I had the motor rebuilt was because I got some water in the motor and there was some in the exhaust when we took out everything. Could that have fouled them out?

50 Proof

Established Member
THE LIRA said:
I went to go try it and it does that. On the way to my barracks I got a check engine light that would be the O2 sensors correct?

If your engine is stalling when you turn the steering wheel at at a standstill, that means your IAC is bad. Your IAC compensates for the engine load from the power steering pump. When your IAC is bad, it can no longer compensate and therefore your idle goes crazy or the engine stalls. If you have a vacuum leak, you'd more than likely hear some sort of hissing noise from under the hood. Go to NAPA, buy a new IAC, and let us know what happens. If you buy a new IAC and it still doesn't fix your problem, clean it out and return it.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The A/C will also make the IAC idle up the car some.

From what you said about the car not wanting to stay running and when it does it is only 300-400RPMs and the killing when pushing in the clutch I say the IAC is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread