Help Picking Out Detailing Supplies

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
We just got the wifey a '13 Civic and I just sold my '04 TL so I'll likely get a '13 Accord. I'd like to keep the paint looking nice on these and have been reading for a week or so now on detailing products, etc. Looking for quality products, but don't want to spend a ton. Here's what I'll need:

Wash (or wash/quick-detailer/etc)

1. Ultima Waterless Wash Plus (UWW+)

Makes a large amount and is supposedly great for washing and for using as a QD. Garry Dean's Infinite Detail Juice looks great too, but is a tad more expensive

Microfiber Towels
Likely going to purchase everything from MicrofiberTech.com. They seem to be well liked and a great bargain.

Mine are trashed so I'd like to put them on wheel duty and pick up some new ones. I'm assuming a bunch of 16"x16" will work fine for washing and QD (obviously not the same towels lol). Just not sure where to find good towels without paying too much. My main questions are what towels do I need for drying. Do I need a larger towel with a really high GSM or would smaller 16x16 towels work just fine? MicrofiberTech has a 10pack of 530gsm towels for $30. Seem like pretty solid towels for drying and QD. I guess I need a few 'waffle-weave' towels for the glass too huh

Claybar
Mine is done for, so I'll need another for sure. Not too sure about which to pick up. Both cars will have new paint so I don't need something too aggressive.

Wax/Sealant
??

Last edited:

St33da

Established Member
Wash - Duragloss 901/902. Gloss enhancing, good lubricity and cheap.

QD - Garry Dean's Infinite Detail Juice. More expensive but dilutes better.

Microfibers - microfibertech.com is a good bang for your buck.

Claybar - Speedy Surface Prep Mitt - Fine Grade. You can clay while washing, if you drop it you can just rinse it off vs. traditional clay where you would have to throw it away. Also can use Garry Dean's IDJ as a clay lube if needed.

Sealant - Menzerna Power Lock. Easy to use, long lasting protection, and leaves a great gloss.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Thanks! Is there any size or GSM that I need to get for certain things (quick detailing, drying, etc?) or would a pack of the 10 16"x16" 530gsm microfibers work just fine for everything?

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Yeah I've been searching there and am going to buy the UWW+ there, but still don't know about the wax/sealant and claybar. That Nanoskin mitt is pretty cool, but pricey up front.

Still waiting for a mod over there to 'okay' me for the forums and then I'll post over there too

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
I use Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, Dodo Juice Rubbish Boys, and have a bottle of Klasse AOL that is my "go to" when the paint needs a good cleaning. Invest in a Porter Cable 7424, your back will be a happy camper. A claybar is a claybar for the most part, you are just buying a bigger or smaller chunk but you don't need to claybar often so a small one should last for awhile. If you have a white car, claybars become more essential.

If your cars are new, you may not even need a claybar, depends on how much contaminants are actually on the finish. Try some Klasse AOL first and top it with the Pinnacle. I buy my microfibers are Wally World, you get a ten stack for under $4. I love em.

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
This instead of clay:

Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine Foam Pad

These are by far the best MF towels I have ever used:

Double Microfiber Towel | Detailing Towels

I like Adams Detail spray, but I think pretty much any will be fine. If you get the Nanoskin pad above, you can just use their "glide" concentrate and dilute it. You will FLY through the "clay" process with that pad..Since the cars are new..stick with the FINE grade.
RC

AWDLS2

Established Member
Thanks! Is there any size or GSM that I need to get for certain things (quick detailing, drying, etc?) or would a pack of the 10 16"x16" 530gsm microfibers work just fine for everything?

For drying I'd use a Waffle Weave towel the 25x36 one would be good, might be a good idea to buy 2 just to have a spare.

For QD the 530gsm ones are nice but I love the 600gsm grey with red bordering ones they are good for QD, wax removal, or polish removal

The yellow 360gsm ones are great all purpose towels for rinseless washes, QD, compound removal, etc

kbmag1

Established Member
For a sealant that gives a nuba wet look - Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection. Super easy on and off. If you want to make it even easier...CarPro Hydro 2. This one all you do is mist it on the section of the car and spray with full force of the garden hose, dry and your done.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
So after some research and speaking with some people on here, Autogeek, etc...

UWW+ (QD and WW when just lightly dusty)
36oz Spray Bottle

CarPro PERL
2 capped bottles (tire ratio and interior ratio)

*I'm getting samples of 1Z Cockpit & GG Interior Cleaner to try also
**What kind of applicator should I use for the interior plastics and leather?

Menzerna PowerLock
*can't decide what kind of applicator I need for this as I'm going to be doing it by hand for now until I get a PC/etc

MF Tech towels

Still undecided on claybar and if I need to put anything down between clay and PL

hoamskilet

Established Member
Check out Collinite 845 for your sealant. Durability is awesome, spreads on thin so the bottle lasts forever, and its pretty cheap.

I use ONR for rinseless washes, clay lube, and quick detail spray....love the stuff.

For your interior and any plastic and rubber trim I would use Aerospace 303

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
What do you all use on glass? Seems like Stoners and sprayways are good. I'm looking at Chemical Guys glass cleaners b/c they're cheap as hell and dilute.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Ordered!! :rockon:

- Menzerna PowerLock (16oz)
- UWW+ Concentrate
- CarPro PERL (1L)
- CG Blacklight
- Free sample of BF WDAFPP
- 2 clear 12oz bottles with flip-cap (for different ratios of PERL)
- 36oz spray bottle (for UWW+)

Also picked up 4 bottles of Stoners Invisible Glass from Amazon (cheap at $3.50/ea). From MF-Tech I purchased 10pk of 16x16 blue towels, (2) 4-packs of mf applicator pads (for applying PERL inside & the polishes/waxes) and their MF cuffless wash mitt.

I probably still need a good car wash that won't strip the Blacklight or Menzerna and a bucket, but I'll pick that up at HD tonight. I've got a tire applicator for the PERL.

...I think that might be it! All in for $175ish. Not too shabby

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Check out Collinite 845 for your sealant. Durability is awesome, spreads on thin so the bottle lasts forever, and its pretty cheap.

I use ONR for rinseless washes, clay lube, and quick detail spray....love the stuff.

For your interior and any plastic and rubber trim I would use Aerospace 303

A few people told me to go Menzerna PL over 845. If I don't like the PL then I'll go 845 next time.

..oh god. Now I'm the one using abbreviations for everything. I hated that when I first started researching detailing products haha.

A buddy has 303 and so I figured I can use his and see which I like better for the interior plastics. It's matte finish and has good protection right? I know the PERL has a little shinier finish, but you can dilute it down if needed.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I personally like the finish of 303. It doesn't look shiny and greasy and supposedly has good UV protection

Users who are viewing this thread