Help picking MM coilover setup for street/strip

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I am getting ready to order a Steeda K-member I want to swap out the struts to freshen up the front end. I've been toying around with going to a coilover setup in the front. I am currently running Viking DA with H&R race springs in the back. my car is primarily a street car but i have been getting into drag racing alittle more lately.

I have gone through MM's site and they recommend their Street series strut (MB-4138.2ST) and a 150-225lb spring.

How does that sound? I know most go with a 350lb spring and sport strut. Is the street/225lb going to be way too soft for street driving?

Soap

Established Member
This is all personal preference with how you drive your car. I have been driving on 175# front springs for almost 15 years and have never had any issues. However I know my limits and don't ever try to take a freeway ramp at 70-80mph.

Also, if you want to drag race at all I highly suggest you get adjustable struts.

--Joe

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Doubles or singles? Any recommendations? I currently have coming Da’s in the rear

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Soap

Established Member
Mine are single adjustable.....I've had them forever. Tokico Illumina. They work fine but I'd love to be able to control compression and rebound. If I did it today I'd get Viking DA......which is what I'm running in the rear and love them.

Whatever you do.....do not get Strange. They are the noisiest damn struts. For a drag car who cares but listening to creaks and moans on the street sucks.

--Joe

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Does viking make a quality DA coil over strut for the front?

I have not been to the strip since installing my rear DA vikings. Only thing I noticed so far is that i need to adjust the setting as my rear bottoms out over bumps. Maybe i need to switch springs. I'm running H&R race, what are you using for springs and what kind of 60's have you cut?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Here is what I am considering

I am thinking a different spring in the rear to match the vikings and then one of the following.
  • Option A: viking DA front coilover
  • Option B: MM front coilover
  • Option B1:MM street series coilover with 225# springs
  • Option B2: MM sport series coilover with a 350# springs
  • Option C: keep it spring in perch in the front and get a Single adjustable strut and call it a day?
  • Option D: ?

Last edited:

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
Yes they do! Don't ask me how they ride yet since I have yet to install them. Upon inspection, they are as high quality as the rears.
upload_2017-11-20_18-54-24.png

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Troy....I have a solid axle so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

--Joe

I understand, thanks alot.

Yes they do! Don't ask me how they ride yet since I have yet to install them. Upon inspection, they are as high quality as the rears.
View attachment 1446077

Yea i looked them up but i haven't seen many talking about running them. Waiting to see someone with them. I'm trying to take advantage of the holiday sales. My guy that I order through is advising me not to go with a front DA coilover as he seems them fail often. (Generalizing front DA coilovers)

Soap

Established Member
My guy that I order through is advising me not to go with a front DA coilover as he seems them fail often. (Generalizing front DA coilovers)

What fails the strut or the coilover setup? Like I said I've been running the same setup for almost 15 years. Once I set my ride height I've never touched them or had a single issue. Just turn the knob when I'm at the track.

--Joe

SVT_Troy

Established Member
What fails the strut or the coilover setup? Like I said I've been running the same setup for almost 15 years. Once I set my ride height I've never touched them or had a single issue. Just turn the knob when I'm at the track.

--Joe

He said he has seen numerous double adjustable coil over setups fail.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I ended up purchasing MM's street series struts with 275# springs. I will update when i get everything installed and get a good feel for it.

Users who are viewing this thread