help picking 2.5" or 3" catback

azureCOBRA

Established Member
I am in the process of putting a kenne bell 2.6h on my car. My question is can i use my existing 2.5" mac cat back or would it make a big difference to switch to a 3". I am going to run my stock manifold with upr off road xpipe.

bbk03gt24

Established Member
from what i've researched on this site, the 3" system will give you some pretty decent boosts in HP over the 2.5" system if you are running a twin screw, high HP setup. etc

FastNick01

Established Member
since your sticking with stock logs I would just keep the 2.5 system. In my opinion, 3' exhaust will start to shine above 600hp but up until that 2.5 shouldn't be that much of a difference.

How much boost will you be running?

GodStang

Established Member
You will not see noticeable gains and may lose down low power if you are not getting near the 700 mark. I thin all the compaines claim 2.5" is goo enough for 650rwhp. If you have the stock logs or 2.5" midpipe then you will completely defeat the purpose of a 3" exhaust.

Anabolic

Banned
i have the 3" catback on my car and it makes a performance, sound difference.. only problem is it has to be perfectly aligned so you don't get clearence issues.. besides that it;s definatly more preferred then the 2.5"

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Last time I checked it was near impossible to get a MAC 3" catback.

I bought mine used from a member here. I love the sound, wouldn't trade it for anything.

It fits like shit though.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
If you're worried about squeezing out every last bit of HP from your current setup, get the 2.5"

If you aren't that worried about it, get the 3" with room to grow. I bought the 3" and I put down 425hp with basic bolt on's, pulley, and a very conservative tune. It's more than enough power to blow the tires off.

However, this month I'm having Fox Lake Stage 3 heads and custom cams put in, along with long tubes and a 3.3L twin screw. Glad I opted for the 3" earlier on, as now it's one less thing I have to upgrade.

Plus, MAC 3" is the tits, sounds amazing! This video is what sold me on it. MAC 3" catback, VRS/UPR off road x-pipe and stock logs.

SuperCharged Mustang Cobra Donuts 517hp - YouTube

evolve

Established Member
If you're worried about squeezing out every last bit of HP from your current setup, get the 2.5"

If you aren't that worried about it, get the 3" with room to grow. I bought the 3" and I put down 425hp with basic bolt on's, pulley, and a very conservative tune. It's more than enough power to blow the tires off.

However, this month I'm having Fox Lake Stage 3 heads and custom cams put in, along with long tubes and a 3.3L twin screw. Glad I opted for the 3" earlier on, as now it's one less thing I have to upgrade.

Plus, MAC 3" is the tits, sounds amazing! This video is what sold me on it. MAC 3" catback, VRS/UPR off road x-pipe and stock logs.

SuperCharged Mustang Cobra Donuts 517hp - YouTube

Good choice :rockon:

westray

0563 SVT
Established Member
i have the 3" catback on my car and it makes a performance, sound difference.. only problem is it has to be perfectly aligned so you don't get clearence issues.. besides that it;s definatly more preferred then the 2.5"

+1

The fitment and clearence somewhat suck. It has to be about perfect aligned or you will have issues.

I have the bassani 3" and love it!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread