Help pick a "status" car

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
I have a buddy who is 42, has a very successful business, and is wanting to purchase a new car- a "status symbol" car.

He currently drives an Infiniti, but also has a GT500 that he drives on the weekends.

He is selling both, and has narrowed his picks down to a Z06 Corvette, a
BMW M3, a BMW M6, a S/C Range Rover, or a Jaguar XKR Coupe. His cap or budget is about 140,000.00

My opinion is the Vette is not a "status symbol" car, but one of a man going thru a mid-life crisis. The M3 is pretty nice, definitely fits the bill of "status", but is a little shy on HP. The M6 has the hp, and the looks, but is the most expensive. The Range Rover is sharp, but holy shit you can haul 8 people in that thing! The Jaguar is sharp..but 510 hp, and you limit the top speed to 155?? What gives with THAT?

I told him either BMW is my choice...but I'd like some opinions, what you would buy for 140K or other suggestions from anyone willing to chime in.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

My buddy and I drove the Aston Martin Vantage- and to be honest, while the craftmanship is impeccable its a little too "squatty" for my tastes. My buddy also didn't like the short tail overhang. The salesman suggested the DB9, but they didn't have any on the floor.

While we were in Charlotte, we looked at the Porsche 911 Turbo, and also the Nissan GTR- which no one mentioned here. I personally- for the money- really thought the Nissan kicked ass. I also liked the 911 turbo, and the dealership was kind enough to tell us that a pristine 2000-2500 mile 07/08 911 Turbo can be picked up for 85K easily in this market. The GTR is selling for 75K or so right now.

So, right now, the 911 and the Nissan are tops on his list, along with the M3.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
619699_1105601_3414_2278_cl63_amg-img_7474.jpg

2010 Mercedes-Benz CL 63 AMG - Specifications, Pictures, Prices

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
wtf why would you want a "status" car why not just get something you want?

hahah

I would say the Jaguar out of the choices you gave..

Corvettes aren't status cars because they're as common as a Toyota Camry

M3s resemble a 3series which is also really common

Range Rovers are homo

M6s are badass, but again they resemble the 6 series.

The new XKR resembles an Aston Martin, which is definitely a "status cars".

phpThumb.php

If it was my money I'd say **** your status and get a FGT, that's just me though.

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
wtf why would you want a "status" car why not just get something you want?

Well..I think it has more to do with the type of clients he will be mixing with.

And, thats also the reason for the question..he is getting something he "wants"...he just doesn't have a lot of direction when it comes to expensive cars.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
obviously what he wants is a status car.

id say beamer or mercedes. SL65 AMG roadster preferrably. Cadillac XLR-V would be a sweet choice as well.

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
hahah

I would say the Jaguar out of the choices you gave..

Corvettes aren't status cars because they're as common as a Toyota Camry

M3s resemble a 3series which is also really common

Range Rovers are homo

M6s are badass, but again they resemble the 6 series.

The new XKR resembles an Aston Martin, which is definitely a "status cars".

phpThumb.php

If it was my money I'd say **** your status and get a FGT, that's just me though.

I'm with you on that one..If it was ME..I would look at the Astons..not only would he have a status car, he'd also have a rarely seen car- at least in this neck of the woods.

'92calypso

Effin wise guy
Established Member
def not the jag or a range rover..theyre both crap...belive me i was a jag tech for a numbe of years...id say a 911 turbo for sure

Users who are viewing this thread