Help! Pcm fuse keeps blowing.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
First off, I've searched and searched before making the thread without any luck.

About a month or so ago I left my car idleing in my driveway for about ten minutes and when I went back outside it was dead, my theft light was flashing and my odo was showing dashes. After looking around I found out the 30 amp pcm fuse under the hood was blown. Tried replacing it and it just blows when I turn the key over, not trying to start it. I put a new ccrm in it and that didn't help. Traced all the wires, with the help of ford's wiring diagrams, but didn't find anything that looked remotely like it would cause a short. It's not the pcm cause it still shorts when it's unhooked.

We're at a loss of what to do now. Anyone have any ideas or have had this problem before?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And the car does have a new enigine, but it's been in for about 10k now.

DOHCTER

Shop Smart.. Shop S-Mart
Established Member
Disconnect the coils and see if that works. I have had coils cause problems like this before. Also check the 02 heater wires.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
I had the same problem and it was a frayed wire on the passenger side ignition noise isolator thingy (touching the cam cover)

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
I had the same problem and it was a frayed wire on the passenger side ignition noise isolator thingy (touching the cam cover)

Yeah, I've seen that while I was searching this site. Where exactly are they on the covers??

Thanks for the help guys. I should have a chance to work on it a little tomorrow afternoon so keep throwing out suggestions.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
See the wire below where the # 38 is? (and on the opposite driver's side)

I think that's what he's referring to.

img6717n.jpg

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Thanks man. That picture helps a lot and my passenger side one is definitely not hooked up so maybe that'll turn out to be my problem.

Bite Me

Established Member
My friend had this problem, but only under hard acceleration.

Only thing he changed was removing his STB, so after replacing fuel pump, tracing wires, etc, etc, I checked the maf and noticed the wire had shorted against the firewall. Since he removed his STB the car flexed enough to rub that wire and short it. There is all of 1/8" of space there to begin with. Taped it up, checked it and worked perfect. Not sure if thats your problem, but something to look at also. Maf wires.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Well it's not the noise isolators and ,if it helps any, if I turn the key fast enough, I can start the car and it'll run great for a couple of seconsd then the fuse will pop and the car dies.

Last edited:

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
My friend had this problem, but only under hard acceleration.

Only thing he changed was removing his STB, so after replacing fuel pump, tracing wires, etc, etc, I checked the maf and noticed the wire had shorted against the firewall. Since he removed his STB the car flexed enough to rub that wire and short it. There is all of 1/8" of space there to begin with. Taped it up, checked it and worked perfect. Not sure if thats your problem, but something to look at also. Maf wires.

I've got a vortech so my maf is in the fenderwell, but I'll definitely look at the wires.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Well I finally got it running. I honestly have no clue what we done that fixed it so I'm kinda weary of driving too much right now. The only thing at all we found that was causing the wires to pull a ground was the maf, but I plugged it up this morning and now the car starts and runs without blowing a fuse. I'm at a loss really.

Users who are viewing this thread