help out some fellow ford fans...

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
I recieved an email from the owner of therangerstation.com today

Dear Member,

I appologize for this email. I don't normally email the members but this is an emergency.

Today, (December 9, 2008) I received a letter from the law offices of Howard, Phillips & Andersen that represent the Ford Motor Company. Ford is forcing us to surrender the name 'therangerstation.com' to them and stop using it. Ford states that using the name 'Ranger' when used in reference to the Ford Ranger is a trademark violation. In addition they are wanting me to pay them $5,000.

As you may know, The Ranger Station has been around for the past 10 years and has been a valuable resource to Ranger enthusiasts.

If Ford does this to us, where will they stop?

I have 10-days to surrender the name and pay them $5,000. I'm asking that you contact Ford online and ask them to reconsider making us change our name and prohibiting us from using the word 'Ranger'.

You can contact them at:

https://secure.ford.com/footer/contact-ford/contact-us-email?contactMainTopic=PublicAffairs

a sample of what one of the members wrote is:

"To whom it may concern:

I am writing concerning your recent legal attacks on various "fan" websites for vehicles such as the Mustang and Ranger. I am insulted by this careless misuse of our legal system and am reconsidering any further vehicle purchases from your company until you cease and desist from any further legal action concerning this subject. I have been a Ford owner for many years and I had hoped to stay that way. These attacks are morally wrong since they are geared towards your customers, and do not instill the least bit of confidence in your brand. For the sake of your business, I ask you to please reconsider immediately.

Thank you."

Thank you for your support and I applogize for this email.

It seems ford is at it again trying to alienate their most loyal customers...how 'bout everyone send a polite coherent email to ford exlaining how these actions make you feel about buying their products in the future...maybe they'll get an idea of the potential affect on bussiness.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Its a trademark. It won't be hard to change the name of the website. It's been done before and will be done again.

Sucks that lawyers waste time with this but its the world we live in.

If you trademarked your screen name "8616v" and someone started a site and was making money on it you'd be after them for some royalties or something.

Qwk GT

Established Member
That kind of sucks. Most websites have the name of the car. Are they going to do this to all of the mustang sites.

Users who are viewing this thread