Help on gear selection

Wild Stallion

Established Member
I had put 4:10's in when I was N/A. Now that I went and had a built stroker short block and put a whipple on I don't really care for the 4:10's to much gear for the torque I am now making. I run through the gears way to fast and just kills my top end. My question should i go back to my 3:55 or go with 3:73's? I also plan on going Viper spec t-56 for my next winter project if that matters. Thanks:thumbsup:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
There is something to that, but remember the issue isn't gas mileage, it is that he is going through 1st gear too fast.

If you are upgrading to a T-56, I would definitely wait till you get the tranny. But I'm thinking the 3.55's might be a good fit. 3.73's would definitely be an improvement over the 4.10's

How many miles do you have on the 4.10's, you could prolly sell them pretty easily.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
^^^ UM>....maybe you forgot about the difference in TRANNY GEARS.

+2 on keeping the 4.10s if you are going with the T56.

RodeoFlyer

Established Member
yeah the gears arent as short in the t-56. I know a guy that has done the swap. he did the D&D kit. His gearing is perfect.

alas, i'm a cheap bastard and will be going with the lowly old TKO w/ .84 5th gear :banana:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
^^^ UM>....maybe you forgot about the difference in TRANNY GEARS.

+2 on keeping the 4.10s if you are going with the T56.

I had considered that there might be a difference, that is why I told him to wait until he does the tranny swap.

Wild Stallion

Established Member
yeah I was thinking that but right now at the moment when going 60 and dropping down to 3rd I'm at about 4k what would that be with just 3:73, 3:73/T-56 and 4:10/T-56 not sure what the math equation is for gears and speed. 4:10's have 10k on them it was the first mod I did.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If you're going to do the Viper T-56...DEFINITELY stay with the 4.10's.

Tranny has less 1st and ever more O.D. in 6th compared to your current 5spd.

Keep 'em...you'll thank us later.

Users who are viewing this thread