Help on 2001 Forged Engine Build Process

C0bra_M3nace

Cobra Fanatic
Established Member
I have a 2001 cobra that is still N/A and it's getting ready to roll 100k miles. I've owned the car for over 5 years and I've thought many times of selling it before it hits 100k miles but I've got so much time and memories invested in it, I'm leaning towards keeping and building it and getting a daily driver. It's got all the basic bolt-ons and a beefed up rear end and FTBR IRS kit. I blew a head gasket around 80k miles and had that replaced. I had the original 5 speed replaced with another TR3650 about 90k miles, so it's not perfect. I've thought about going with a roots style supercharger but I'm leaning towards the Procharger. I'm not looking to build a future drag car but at least something that would make someone think twice about racing you.

That being said, I want to forge the engine. Some owners have said that I should just slap the procharger on and not worry about building the engine. I mean what if I were to blow the engine running close to 500 hp with the procharger? I feel like it would be better to forge everything first, then to look back down the road and wonder why I didn't do it before installing the power adder. Unfortunately, I don't have great knowledge about the 4.6L engine. I know the common differences between the 03/04 cobra and the Teksid/WAP block though. I have an understanding that the 99/01 cobras came with a forged crank but didn't come with forged pistons and rods. What all do I need to build the engine? Just pistons and rods? What brand? Manley? If so, where should I buy them? How about the compression? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I would enjoy building the engine myself to cut down on costs but if time prevents me, what kind of shop should I get into contact with? I currently live in western Kentucky.

Thank you.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just my opinion....

If you're looking for a fun street car pick up a set of rods and pistons. Modmax used to be a good place to go for those. Get the heads cleaned up and new valve seals installed. Put it back together and depending on your goal install a P1 or D1. I had a D1 and loved it. For my centri set up I had the compression at 9.5:1. Part throttle was still decent and it lived on 91 octane.

My stock 3650 lived behind a big bore stroker making about 600hp. But I didn't do 4k clutch dumps or hit the track. Usually if I got on it I was rolling in 2nd gear. I used a stock 04 Cobra clutch.

Don't forget the fuel system. That'll depend on how far you want to go and what fuel you want to run.

FWIW, the guy that bought my 01 put a nasty N/A engine in it. I think it was in the low 400rwhp range. It ran low to mid 11's I think and just sounded mean. Something to think about.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Just my opinion....

If you're looking for a fun street car pick up a set of rods and pistons. Modmax used to be a good place to go for those. Get the heads cleaned up and new valve seals installed. Put it back together and depending on your goal install a P1 or D1. I had a D1 and loved it. For my centri set up I had the compression at 9.5:1. Part throttle was still decent and it lived on 91 octane.

My stock 3650 lived behind a big bore stroker making about 600hp. But I didn't do 4k clutch dumps or hit the track. Usually if I got on it I was rolling in 2nd gear. I used a stock 04 Cobra clutch.

Don't forget the fuel system. That'll depend on how far you want to go and what fuel you want to run.

FWIW, the guy that bought my 01 put a nasty N/A engine in it. I think it was in the low 400rwhp range. It ran low to mid 11's I think and just sounded mean. Something to think about.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread