Help not make boost I should.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
Guys I need your help. I have had 3 different superchargers on my car now (Eaton KB2.2 Whipple gen 5) and I couldn’t get them to make over 6 psi even though the whipple is setup for 27 psi now. I did cracked the lower intake years ago trying to bolt it down to a aluminum block that I didn’t get the knock sensors ground down enough but I did put a thick layer of epoxy that should have fixed it. The car runs fine just won’t make the boost it should.
Do you guys think it might be the intake? Or do you think that the vacuum line might be the problem? The only thing with the vacuum lines is the car runs good all but the boost.

MG0h3

Established Member
I’d start by verifying your gauge works correctly.

You should be able to easily tell from the seat o pants meter if you’re actually only making 6psi or what you’re actually pullied for.

You’re cracked lower still could be leaking but you’d have a terrible time getting it to run right. Maf would be seeing air that isn’t making it to the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
might be helpful to know your vacuum line routing to the bypass valve and boost gauge.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
I have two gauges on the car one the factory boost gauge and a Arrowforce gauge. And no it didn’t feel like it getting into boost.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
do your gauges seem to show correct vacuum at idle? Remember the aeroforce will be psi not inches of vacuum so have to multiply. Do both gauges read roughly the same both vacuum and boost?

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
Well the bypass is hooked up from whipple it just one line going into the bypass so it can’t be that and I routed the vacuum line just like they say to.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
do your gauges seem to show correct vacuum at idle? Remember the aeroforce will be psi not inches of vacuum so have to multiply. Do both gauges read roughly the same both vacuum and boost?
Well the aeroforce shows vacuum but when rev it up it will go down to around 0 on the vacuum and the factory don’t move but if I drive it and romp on it the factory will go to about 6 psi and drop off for there. I would have thought it was the belt but I have had several new belts on there and it don’t make a difference.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Well the aeroforce shows vacuum but when rev it up it will go down to around 0 on the vacuum and the factory don’t move but if I drive it and romp on it the factory will go to about 6 psi and drop off for there. I would have thought it was the belt but I have had several new belts on there and it don’t make a difference.

when you just rev it going to 0 is about right. how much vacuum does it say you have at idle? Just trying to get a reference if it's showing ballpark accurate vacuum at idle.

Does the factory gauge just sit at 0 all the time unless you're getting on it?

Have you tried bumping the throttle body by hand and watching the boost actuator to see if it looks like it's moving correctly?

I doubt it's a belt issue causing a 21# boost loose unless the tensioner is just ****ed. I vote you've got a vacuum routing issue and/or bypass valve issue.

What part of Orlando? (PM me if ya want)

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
when you just rev it going to 0 is about right. how much vacuum does it say you have at idle? Just trying to get a reference if it's showing ballpark accurate vacuum at idle.
Yes it goes to about 0 psi when I rev it. I would have to look how much vacuum but I think it was around 13 but I have cams.

Does the factory gauge just sit at 0 all the time unless you're getting on it?
Yes it does.
Have you tried bumping the throttle body by hand and watching the boost actuator to see if it looks like it's moving correctly?
No I haven’t but it hard to see on this whipple.
I doubt it's a belt issue causing a 21# boost loose unless the tensioner is just ****ed. I vote you've got a vacuum routing issue and/or bypass valve issue.
I’m thinking it might be a vacuum issue but it runs fine so I would like someone else eyes to look at it and see if they see something wrong.
What part of Orlando? (PM me if ya want)
I live in Auburndale Fl it’s in between Orlando and Tampa before you get to Lakeland. If you want to come over sometime you can PM me and we can set something up.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes it goes to about 0 psi when I rev it. I would have to look how much vacuum but I think it was around 13 but I have cams.

Yes it does.

No I haven’t but it hard to see on this whipple.

I’m thinking it might be a vacuum issue but it runs fine so I would like someone else eyes to look at it and see if they see something wrong.

I live in Auburndale Fl it’s in between Orlando and Tampa before you get to Lakeland. If you want to come over sometime you can PM me and we can set something up.

ya I know where you're talking about, dont head down that way too often.

I would say to post up some pics of your vacuum line routing for the bypass valve and detail where it's going - maybe someone can catch a mistake and try to get a video of the bypass valve as someone gives it a good rev

01yellercobra

Established Member
3 different blowers with the same issue. I'd have a hard time saying it's a vacuum issue at that point. Depending on the severity of the vacuum leak it can be tuned around a little. If it's not known about and stays consistent.

How big of a crack are we talking? Did you put the epoxy on the inside or outside? I'm wondering if the epoxy is sealing in vacuum conditions and blowing open under boost.

Unless you have the external boost sensor for the Aeroforce it won't read above 14psi as that's what the stock MAP sensor is capped at.

Did you mean 13" of vacuum or -13psi?

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
3 different blowers with the same issue. I'd have a hard time saying it's a vacuum issue at that point. Depending on the severity of the vacuum leak it can be tuned around a little. If it's not known about and stays consistent.
That’s what had me thinking it might be the crack.
How big of a crack are we talking? Did you put the epoxy on the inside or outside? I'm wondering if the epoxy is sealing in vacuum conditions and blowing open under boost.
I would say it was about 3” long but I did both sides when I did it but do you think that it would be enough to leak that much boost?
Unless you have the external boost sensor for the Aeroforce it won't read above 14psi as that's what the stock MAP sensor is capped at.

I don’t have a external sensor so I guess don’t know if it’s making more then 13 of vacuum.

01yellercobra

Established Member
For the crack, I wouldn't think so. But being around my son and his friends has taught me to never say "that can't happen". So anymore I say anything is possible.

The Aeroforce should still read proper vacuum. Or in this case negative PSI as mentioned above. The reason I asked is because as DSG said vacuum is roughly double that of negative PSI. You keep saying you're making 13. But you're not telling us units. If the Aeroforce is showing -6ish PSI and you're telling us 13" of vacuum then cool. That makes sense with aftermarket cams. But if you're seeing -13 PSI on the Aeroforce something is amiss. -13 PSI is about 26" of vacuum. Which I haven't seen with a stock engine much less one with aftermarket cams. So if your gauge is off you need to fix that first.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
For the crack, I wouldn't think so. But being around my son and his friends has taught me to never say "that can't happen". So anymore I say anything is possible.

The Aeroforce should still read proper vacuum. Or in this case negative PSI as mentioned above. The reason I asked is because as DSG said vacuum is roughly double that of negative PSI. You keep saying you're making 13. But you're not telling us units. If the Aeroforce is showing -6ish PSI and you're telling us 13" of vacuum then cool. That makes sense with aftermarket cams. But if you're seeing -13 PSI on the Aeroforce something is amiss. -13 PSI is about 26" of vacuum. Which I haven't seen with a stock engine much less one with aftermarket cams. So if your gauge is off you need to fix that first.
I will try and get a video of the Aeroforce gage tomorrow so you can see what it doing.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
Manifold crack is the obvious thing, however did you check for simple WOT having someone hold ur pedal to the floor?
No I haven’t but I have driven it like that and it seems like just a 400hp can nothing super fast like it should.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

If he’s got the same vacuum routing to the bypass and it’s been wrong the whole time…

Does each blower have its own new bypass or do you keep reusing it?

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
Each one has it own bypass plus the whipple comes all ready hooked to the bypass so I couldn’t have hooked that up wrong.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I know on the back of my Whipple there are two big ports. One sees vacuum only and the other see boost and vacuum. The BPV needs to be hooked to the bottom one. That's the one that sees boost and vacuum.

I have a standard inlet though. I'm not sure how it compares to the inlet on th gen 5.

Users who are viewing this thread