HELP, no wheel KEY, alternatives? engine problems

ilumo

Master of going off topic
Established Member
Hey guys... ive been having some engine/overheating probs, and so the dealership has to take out the engine. They need to drop the subframe for that, but FIRST, they have to take out the wheels. Now the thing is... I dont have my wheel KEY, the one that came stock with the car..!! THey said they can't take the wheels off without them, and it would take 2 weeks for FORD to send them a replacement. THey said that theres no "universal" key which works with all the SVT cobra wheels. I know they can take it out using a smaller socket and hammering it in, but they arent willing to do that. Is there any other way? I DONT want to wait 2 weeks for them to work on my car, and another week to fix it. Terminator deprived.... :(

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I broke my key, and drove it to discount tire, and they have a special tool that will remove all wheel locks. So in 10 minutes they had it off, and they sold me 4 new locks with key, all for about $12.

O4COBRA

Established Member
Call the dealer and give them your VIN #. They can make a wheel lock off of the VIN # I think. If not. go to the dealer and have them match it up with their keys, and they can order one in for you!

ilumo

Established Member
does it realy take 2 weeks?! Thats a long time to wait... especially with a non working terminator :(. jeez.... and this is only the minor problem.. the engine... thats the other thing.

99SERPENT

this isn't good
Established Member
Originally posted by ilumo
Hey guys... ive been having some engine/overheating probs, and so the dealership has to take out the engine. They need to drop the subframe for that, but FIRST, they have to take out the wheels. Now the thing is... I dont have my wheel KEY, the one that came stock with the car..!! THey said they can't take the wheels off without them, and it would take 2 weeks for FORD to send them a replacement. THey said that theres no "universal" key which works with all the SVT cobra wheels. I know they can take it out using a smaller socket and hammering it in, but they arent willing to do that. Is there any other way? I DONT want to wait 2 weeks for them to work on my car, and another week to fix it. Terminator deprived.... :(

If you look in the glove compartment box you should find the locking wheel key code in a bag. The wheel lock came from Mcgard industries. If you still have that bag the lock came in you will find it in there more than likely. Call McGard with the code if you have it and they should be able to overnight one to you. Kind of surprised your Ford dealer doesn't have a master lock set or atleast one of the techs in the shop.

ilumo

Established Member
Re: Re: HELP, no wheel KEY, alternatives? engine problems

Originally posted by 99SERPENT
If you look in the glove compartment box you should find the locking wheel key code in a bag. The wheel lock came from Mcgard industries. If you still have that bag the lock came in you will find it in there more than likely. Call McGard with the code if you have it and they should be able to overnight one to you. Kind of surprised your Ford dealer doesn't have a master lock set or atleast one of the techs in the shop.
Yes, I believe I had the locking key.. but it was in my little SVT binder with the borchure + instructional pamphlet. But I misplaced that brochure somewhere. I dont have that bad with the code, but do you think the dealer could call SVT, and have them overnight one of the locks in with the VIN #?

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
So I take my 97 cobra (RIP) to discount tire co to get the wheels rebalanced and rotated. They get the first wheel off just fine. One wrench monkey says to the other, hey catch! The other wrench monkey - not as coordinated - misses the key and it rolls into a concrete drainage hole just big enough to fit it and down into the sewer it went.

Four hours and one destroyed wheel later they were able to get my tires off.

10 minutes?

ilumo

Established Member
I guess they were finally able to get the wheels OFF. I knew they were smater than that. good. Now they have my engine out, and are taking off the top end as I type... we'll see what went wrong.

basically, i was driving a week ago on the highway, when all of a sudden, my temp sky rocketed... no check engine lights... immediately shut it down, called Ford roadside assistance, and they towed it to the dealer. Next day, the dealer said there was a TSB for something regarding the factory not filling the coolant right, and that there were some AIR pockets, and if they surfaced, the car would overheat??? hmmm.. funky, but ok.
So the next day, i get my car back.. its running fine... and then later, i was driving on the highway again... pulled into an exit ramp, then as I was slowing down, bam.. i lost power steering and power brakes... and engine stalled... I try starting the car again.... nothing... waited 5 min, tried again... started for a minute... idled REALLY rough, and then as soon as I gave it gas, it died. and then a little bit of smoke came outta the hood... so I said forget it, and called roadside assistance again.

So ford replaced the radiator.. BUT there was still a problem, and said it was something to do with the engine... so thats where they are at now... shietttz...

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Dealer service departments are supposed to have a master key for all Ford wheel locks.

At least this is what my dealer told me. They've always been able to get my wheels off. :shrug:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
There is no master key but there is a master set. My dealer has a kit with about 20 different keys in it. They use it all the time. If your dealer doesn't have such a set, try another dealer.

Another way to get them off is to sacrifice a socket. You can use one which will almost fit around the outside, then hammer it on. Unfortunately, you would need at least 2 of these, then you could send one of the removed locks to McGard and get replacement locks and keys.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
remove that useless "lock" when you scare up the removal tool.

the tire monkeys use impact wrenches on them which makes the key crumble eventually. nothing like being stuck in the paddock area or on the side of the road and not being able to get the wheel off.

plus it doesnt stop anyone. if they want your wheels they'll break the window and get the key out of the glove box or spare tire well.

if your dealer cant get the wheel off, they're not a very well equipped dealer...mcgard can overnight a replacement key. after the 2nd key i finally wised up and threw those stupid locks in the garbage.

jk03cobra

Established Member
When you get them off, toss them in the garbage and put regular lugs on in their place. It makes everything so much easier. Like someone else said, if someone wants to steal your wheels they will, regardless of whether you have those on or not. Someone who want your wheels doesn't care about damaging the lugs in the process and if you're not worried about screwing up the locking lug, you can get them off just as easy as the other ones.

ilumo

Established Member
Thanks a lot for the help guys! you're the greatest... yea, the dealership was just trying to "buy" some TIME, im sure. What kinda crap are they giving me by saying 2 WEEKS for a replacement key. That is just unacceptable. They probably just want to delay taking my engine out... BUT now it is out, and I will see tonight why there was a failure. Theres < 10k miles on the engine, and I dont "beat" on it. weird indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread