Help needed measuring bearing clearance

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
98 Cobra engine build underway. A little background info. Engine has low miles for it’s age 25,000 mi., One owner (me). Garage kept.
Cylinders lightly honed, crank journal’s micro polished. Rotating assembly balanced with new Ross 2618 forged pistons & Eagle forged steel H-beam Rods.

So here’s where I could use a little guidance. I’m thinking that by measuring the crankshaft journals with a quality 3 inch outside micrometer (Starrett), it could be possible to determine the precise clearance needed and thus order the bearings in the proper size? What about using Plastigauge to ensure the clearances are within spec?
Trying to do this right but, I have to work within a tight budget. Thoughts please?
Thanks.

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
Come on guys, I know there are others that have fit new bearings during a rebuild.
I’d just like for someone with experience to critique my idea and give me your thoughts.

chao5.0

Established Member
I would use a set of T-gauges before I use plasti gauge, otherwise take it to a machine shop and have them put a dial bore gauge and check for straightness. Also if you can have the crank checked for straightness, I had a friend have his new Callies crank needing straightening so I would definitely check a factory crank. I had mine straightened and turned down .010".

Users who are viewing this thread