Help needed gun experts- bullet stuck in chamber

jshen

Established Member
I was cleaning a Bushmaster M-7 223 rifle and noticed a bullet had parted from the casing and lodged in rifle chamber!! It is not a round that fired, as a new round will not chamber..This is the first time in 50 years I have seen this and attribute it to cheap ammo and poor gun handler- me.!

I had shot about 500 rounds at the range, and decided to quit. I dropped the mag. and cleared the chamber NOT looking at what came out. Apparently ? when I cleared the round- the bullet remained and the casing was extracted..My fault in not looking at the round but I have never had an issue with this rifle..My fault (2) I did not immediately clean the rifle as it is piston operated and clean chamber design. I accidently let a couple weeks go by and when I inserted cleaning rod found the obstruction and the damn this is stuck...penetrating oil doesn't move it.

Any ideas before I move this on to a gunsmith? Again, the round separated from casing without being fired. I think the heat from the chamber and my waiting to clean it caused the barrel to cool around bullet and lock it in.

Thanks in advance for any input.

HMTDF

Established Member
My suggestion is that you get a brass rod that is longer than the barrel and insert it and use a small hammer and tap it out. That's what I have done in the past with stuck bullets. I had a reloading business for 33 years and retired several years ago and had seen
many different things happen to people who have asked for help.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Use one of those carbon type cleaning rods with the screwdriver type handle on the end. Give it a few taps. Just double check and make sure it is just the head and not the full cart.

nxhappy

Established Member
beaver, potato, and a hammer

well.....just a hammer and rod lol

oldmodman

Established Member
I worried about throat damage even with using soft brass.
So I got a piece of wooded dowel and banged the stuck bullet right out.
Clean the hell out of the bore afterward too.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Do not use anything other than a brass or steel rod for .223/5.56.
The rod must be 3/16" or so to goin the .223" bore.

It is rare that a rifle bullet gets stuck in the lands by simply chambering a round.
You typically will notice it because of all the powder which would have been dumped into the rifle.
The other possibility is that it was a squib load and there was no powder in the case and the bullet was propelled by the primer alone.
A squib in a pistol can propel the bullet far enough so that another round can be chambered with catastrophic results.
A squib in a rifle typically barely jams it in the lands.

jshen

Established Member
Thank you all! Cheap ammo, hot barrel and my dropping a clip before finishing the contents. I ejected a cartridge without looking that the bullet had come off....then I waited to clean and barrel cooled. Thank goodness the about comments about small dowel rod worked after sitting up with a little penetrating oil sat in the bore. This bullet simply came apart and was in chamber so it prevented me from chambering new round. I cannot imagine the world of hell to those in combat having a misfire where bullet is lodged in barrel.
I buy ammo by the 1000rd case..."just in case" so to speak and case this came from is 1983 vintage- stored in vacuum bags.

Users who are viewing this thread