Help needed finding proper manual

Bite Me

Established Member
I have heard some of you talk about having your ford manual, or service manual. I have yet to get a manual of any sort. I usually just buy the chiltons manuals you can find at auto stores.

Anyone have an suggestions on a manual specific, or semi-specific for our new edge cobras and where to get it from? I would def like something that includes IRS specific instructions and parts diagrams if possible.

Thanks

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I bought the service manual on a CD from eBay a couple of years ago. If you find one, figure out if it works with your PC operating system. Now that I bought a new computer, my CD will not work in it.

Bite Me

Established Member
You have vista on there? There are ways around that if it is vista. I do IT work for a living and had to deal with that crap a lot. What does or doesnt it do?

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Yes, my new PC has Vista. I don't recall exactly other than the manual on the CD would not open up and run. I wasn't overly concerned, I still have my older PC if I need to get back on the CD.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I have the Haynes manual and it leaves something to be desired. For example, it didn't even mention the top two bolts for tranny removal. But, it will get you started and then the forums can fill in the gaps :)

cobraracer46

Banned
Avoid the manuals that are sold at your local auto parts store because they are as worthless as dog shit. I'm not a big fan of the manuals that come on a cd rom either because nothing beats having a big factory shop manual right in front of you so with that in mind, the hot set up in shop manuals are the ones published by Helm and used by dealer technicians. The Helm manuals can be expensive if purchased new, but if you look on ebay, you can find a set for a good price.

I have the 2001 mustang Vol.1 and 2 shop manuals ( 2 huge books!), the 2001 mustang EVTM( electrical diagram and trouble shooting guide) manual and the Ford 2001 emission diagnosis manual( very big book!). In short, my collection of factory shop manuals covers every thing on a mustang is mandatory if you do your own wrenching and diagnosis.

Finally, I'm always amazed at people on this bord who post threads that go something like: Hey, whats the torque for the intake bolts or how do you set up the timing chains?
To those people I say: hey dumb ass, why in the hell would you even think about tairing into a Cobra engine with out having a shop manual? What are you stupid?:nonono:

Bite Me

Established Member
I have gotten pretty deep in my car without a manual so far. Most of it is common sense stuff, but torque specs you need to get right. I have found most torque specs in the forums so far.

I definitely need something pretty soon though, want to have a good reference when I take the IRS out, drop the K member and do some major work on it. I looked at the helm stuff and I think new it was $140 for the 1 and 2 manual, not to bad really.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Trust me, the Haynes manual isn't the best, buut it has all the basics. If you want to drop $140, go ahead. Personally, I dropped probably $20 and used the search function. BTW, the only thing I haven't taken out and replaced is the dash.

Bite Me

Established Member
Good point. I will have to take a look at the haynes manual before I make any decisions. Most stuff I have needed I have found on the forums which is why I havent bothered yet.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
I got the Ford service manual on DVD of of eBay. Has everything from parts, procedures, troubleshooting and wiring diagrams.

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated

The guy I bought my Cobra included the 4" and 1.5" thick Ford Service manuals from this Co.
If you can't find what you are looking for I can scan and post the pages.
The books I have covers EVERTHING bumper to bumper, from frame up to vert top.
If any of yoos' guys need any Ford tech service pages let me know.
I will scan and post them on the site :rockon:
These books are thick!

Users who are viewing this thread