{help} need to find/build a "special" jeep

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
Well, the Great Dane is getting too big for the vette. I've always liked the Jeep Wrangler...thinking of getting one. Here's the dilemma.

I need HP....I need speed. So, i need a Jeep with either a large motor or maybe a supercharged motor. Does anyone have any ideas? thoughts? suggestions on where to find one or who could build one?

TIA!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Theres a guy down here with a older CJ series. Not sure on the model.

But he has a SBC with a weiland street blower like I have on the dragster.

It runs 12 teens on 4 BFG DRs.
Drives it to and from the track.

Pretty cool but he built it himself.

If your looking for newer the SRT8 is the way to go.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
There is a conversion that sticks the 5.7L hemi in a jeep. but if you want fast, dont get a wrangler, get something like an SRT8 Cherokee. Jeeps dont handle well, they dont have the brakes, or the trannies or axles to handle lots of power.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectb..._wrangler_tj_57l_hemi_swap_finishing_touches/

The SRT-8 is 425HP.
To build a jeep to handle that kind of power, you will have the cost of the motor, and at least 4K-5K in axles, for the fabwork and parts to make them strong enough, and i would recommend four links, front and rear at that point also.

Last edited:

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
Speed/power+wrangler=really bad idea. check out backcountryjournal.com they have stretched jeeps and conversions like that. I would try and find the company that makes a stretch jeep with an additional axle. I believe the company is by San Marcos.

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
ok, let me rephrase...i don't race...I'm not going to offroad (much if any) this would be a DD. I just want enough HP to get out of the way, pass when i want, burn a little rubber if the mood hits.

I'm used to the vette, before that tha Lightning. I just won't be happy with pressing the gas peddle and feeling it sink without some power.

I like the wrangler because of the ability to take the top off (i'm a topless kinda girl) :) Also, the Dane would fit nicely, she goes everywhere with me.

I would probably lower it a bit also, i don't need it to sit up high, which might help a little.

more thoughts, keep em coming!

jfsram

Established Member
No factory Jeep will compare to a Lightning of a Vette.
If you are willing to step it down a notch, as said a SRT8 Cherokee. Killer in it's class and out of it's class. Down from there, even the 4.7L Gran Cherokee's are 15 sec trucks.

An outfit in Texas called KRC Performance could build you a killer Jeep.

Burning a little rubber in the SRT8 would be tough. They are AWD.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The Trailblazer SS has the LS2 motor in it. I cant believe you are getting rid of the Vette already. You and your husband have L.L. beat on the turn over of cars.

Good Luck.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
RidnRodsLightng said:
Well, the Great Dane is getting too big for the vette. I've always liked the Jeep Wrangler...thinking of getting one. Here's the dilemma.

I need HP....I need speed. So, i need a Jeep with either a large motor or maybe a supercharged motor. Does anyone have any ideas? thoughts? suggestions on where to find one or who could build one?

TIA!

Pics, details and price on the Vette?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Larry, you should get it. It is silver. One of the best colors for a vette, I wish I could have found that instead of my red one.

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
SRT8s are awesome trucks. The guy who tunes Joes GTTT has one that ran a 12.4 1/4m with just his tune and a CAI (Maybe a catback too, I can't remember). It's a gas guzzler though...but the seats are the most comfortable I've ever sat in.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
FordSVTFan said:
Larry, you should get it. It is silver. One of the best colors for a vette, I wish I could have found that instead of my red one.

We'll have to see the price and options.
If it's what I'm looking for I'll fly out and drive it home.:pepper:

99caddysts

Established Member
You could get some older cj series wranglers for some big engines.

For new the srt-8 is awesome.

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
The Trailblazer SS has the LS2 motor in it. I cant believe you are getting rid of the Vette already. You and your husband have L.L. beat on the turn over of cars.

Good Luck.

oh i'm not getting rid of the vette!! She'll just be the garage queen. :D

Users who are viewing this thread